What's New
New words/signs:
signs "please" when prompted
signs and says thank you ("na noo") unprompted--this is really sweet and he always seems so genuine
signs and says "seet down!" when he is standing on something he shouldn't be--this is always funny but so naughty
made-up but consistent signs for cement mixer, airplane, helicopter
bubbles
Taggies (his lovey)
NO
crackers
mama (mama mama mama mom. mom. mommmy. maMA. MAMA. momeeeeee mom. mama. mama. mama? mama....)
cheese
sausage
"sshhhhh" with little finger to lips...so stinkin' cute
hi/hey
Abita (Beeeeba!). Also, all dogs are now Beeba.
cup
hot
hot
SPORTS CATEGORY
tennis ("nennis")
football--applies to futbol and American football...we'll get it sorted out in the fall
baseball ("baybah")
basketball ("baball") -- subtle differences, but he knows what he means and is always correct
golf
animal noises for horse, cow, pig, monkey, dog...helicopter usually sneaks onto Old McDonald's farm, too
I'm also fairly certain I've started to hear some two-word utterances sporadically:
Dada shoes
hi Yaya
tennis ball
good girls (to the dogs)
Points to ears, nose, eyes, teeth, feet, tum-tum, hair...
--
He has been taking swim lessons and is making solid progress toward our goals of a) being able to flip over and float on his back and b) being able to get to and grab the side of the pool. I don't need him rockin' out like a 50 butterfly, but we want him to be able to make himself rescuable should he ever fall in a pool. For better or for worse, he has no fear around the water and zero understanding of the fact that he cannot swim.
We are solidly on one daily nap. The transition occurred for good around 15 months. There are definitely pros and cons to having made the switch, and I did like lots of things about two naps, but it is what it is. As long as he takes a long enough nap, it works. We started with nap around 11 and have successfully pushed it back to about 12/12:15 after lunch. Ideally he sleeps for 2 hours or more, but it varies.
We are also working on making some changes at our house to give him more safe space to play (just rearranging things; no remodeling or fund expenditure). In other words, I am now fully becoming the person I didn't want to become whose house is totally given over to toys and kid things. My hope is that he will play independently more often in a space where I can see him, which will allow me to get more things done (e.g., work, folding laundry, making some food...). Because....
...also starting around 15 months, he seems to have entered a MAJOR mommy phase. He is clingy in general and much more wary of strangers, but is glued to mommy in a particularly intense way (Daddy's turn will come...mwa ha ha). Even at home, I can't really be out of sight for more than a second. We're working with it, and I recognize it's a typical phase, but ideally some house re-arranging will allow me to reclaim a sliver of productivity. Also, his play needs are just changing as he gets bigger. We're bringing a play table out of the attic, rotating out some toys that have lost their appeal, and giving him a little more dedicated room to explore safely. And to play "nennis."
--
He has been taking swim lessons and is making solid progress toward our goals of a) being able to flip over and float on his back and b) being able to get to and grab the side of the pool. I don't need him rockin' out like a 50 butterfly, but we want him to be able to make himself rescuable should he ever fall in a pool. For better or for worse, he has no fear around the water and zero understanding of the fact that he cannot swim.
We are solidly on one daily nap. The transition occurred for good around 15 months. There are definitely pros and cons to having made the switch, and I did like lots of things about two naps, but it is what it is. As long as he takes a long enough nap, it works. We started with nap around 11 and have successfully pushed it back to about 12/12:15 after lunch. Ideally he sleeps for 2 hours or more, but it varies.
We are also working on making some changes at our house to give him more safe space to play (just rearranging things; no remodeling or fund expenditure). In other words, I am now fully becoming the person I didn't want to become whose house is totally given over to toys and kid things. My hope is that he will play independently more often in a space where I can see him, which will allow me to get more things done (e.g., work, folding laundry, making some food...). Because....
...also starting around 15 months, he seems to have entered a MAJOR mommy phase. He is clingy in general and much more wary of strangers, but is glued to mommy in a particularly intense way (Daddy's turn will come...mwa ha ha). Even at home, I can't really be out of sight for more than a second. We're working with it, and I recognize it's a typical phase, but ideally some house re-arranging will allow me to reclaim a sliver of productivity. Also, his play needs are just changing as he gets bigger. We're bringing a play table out of the attic, rotating out some toys that have lost their appeal, and giving him a little more dedicated room to explore safely. And to play "nennis."
What We're Loving
me:
Vitamix, baby.
This was BA's Father's Day present, and it is already getting serious use by all members of the household (well, C can't quite operate it alone yet). We haven't branched out and made anything wild--although judging by the included cookbook there are plenty of things you never knew you could make in a blender--but we are diggin' our smoothies. Recently I'd been unable to get any breakfast for myself by the time I made a toddler breakfast and poured a cup of coffee. After C finishes his sausage and toast, he is ready to P-L-A-Y. Like now. I knew I really needed a breakfast solution for the purposes of feeling better and not making disgusting food choices later in the day in an attempt to stave off extreme crashes.
I'll never be cool with kale, but spinach for breakfast is pretty good, right?
him:
All mommy all the time.
Saying no, which he says with his whole body. Multiple times, just so you're really sure.
All the sports, but talks about nennis the most.
Animals, especially Beeba (even when "Beeba" is Mabel) and elephants.
silly Beeba.
Still with the machines. Crackers. Chicken.
Spinning in circles with Daddy in the pool (and they both get so dizzy I laugh a lot).
HATES a diaper change.
Imitating what grown-ups say or do...I think we are officially in watch-your-language territory.
Naming friends and family members, either from memory or while looking at photos. I made a book on Shutterfly with people's pictures and names, and I hope it's a hit.
Next up: a year and a half!





No comments:
Post a Comment