Somewhere along the way, he got more in to the paci. I notice certain times when I can tell he just wants the comfort of the ol' sucking reflex, but doesn't want to eat. It's usually before a little nap, and it seems to help him focus enough just to fall asleep. So we are not highly dependent on it, and I hope we don't become so (I was anti-pacifier back before I was a parent when I knew everything but it just seems like so many people have trouble parting with it eventually). Overall I am ok with it, because it also seems to have given him enough practice with a faux nipple to get better at the bottle.
But the Wubba Nub in particular is great (I prefer the lamb) because the Soothie pacifier tends to pop out and bounce on to the floor, but the lambie part has enough weight to kind of keep it right there. He isn't dextrous enough yet to grab it and put it back in his mouth, but it at least keeps it corralled. We use it almost exclusively in the car to get through those tough red-light moments.
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
When looking at Light Fixture from the nursery floor gets a little tiresome (for me, not him), this is a fave. I think the pictures are just right for little eyes at this point. He likes to talk to all the animals. Also, lying side-by-side on the floor is the best way to look at a book at this point, for those who were wondering. I felt guilty that I wasn't reading to him because everyone is like READ TO YOUR BABY OR THEIR BRAINS WILL FALL OUT but we couldn't really finagle the logistics (you know, him not being able to sit up but me needing my hands to hold the book). But then I did this and le voila. Y'all should have told me.
BONUS: contains Macaroni Penguin.
Monkey Seat
Well, Fisher-Price calls it the "Deluxe Monkey Bouncer" but we call it Monkey Seat. It may or may not have songs about it. Much like the swing, it's not a miracle worker, but it vibrates and has lights and sounds and--if he's in the mood--he'll look at it for quite a while so I can get some things done. Or at least go to the bathroom. On one magical day, he chilled therein for FORTY minutes.
It also has a weight limit of 25 lbs, as opposed to the Newborn Napper from the Pack N Play (15 lbs), so I got it in anticipation of outgrowing that. He was also ready for something more inter/active. Also, it's light enough to carry it one-handed around to where I'll need it--helpful. People also rave about the Rainforest one. I'm sure he'd love that--he likes Rainforest Mat at Doc & Jules's house and has Rainforest bouncer over there but has yet to break it in--but honestly I just got the monkey because it was cheaper.
Whoever told me that these were the best (I think it was more than one person) was right. They're pretty plain, but really soft. We also have lots of other cute hooded towels that will be great for when little man is a bigger little man, but these are perfect for babies. The hood stays on right for Jedi master impersonations and they don't swallow him up.
Kissy Kissy gowns jammies
We have a nice little bedtime routine, but I still find it easier when we can use the jammies that just snap up the front--everything just goes more smoothly. We only have two of these, and I basically do laundry all the time so we can have one at bedtime. He's not in the newborn size anymore, but I also like that these still have the cuffs that can fold over little hands. We're weaning from the swaddle, so he sleeps with one arm out and I feel like the cuff keeps his little hand warm. It also keeps him from poking himself in the eye, which is a real day-ruiner for him. He likes his hands by his face, and rubs his eyes when he's tired, but isn't quiiiiite coordinated enough to not gauge himself from time to time, and then he doesn't understand what happened. So what I'm saying is the cuffs are good for sleeping. I convert these to leggies during the day because I hate the gown riding up, but it's nice to have the gown option for middle-of-the-night diaper changes. Which I don't do.
Blueberry Crisp Clif Bars
Afternoon snack.
Leveret onesies
Actually...did you know...Gerber technically owns the term "onesie," so all other companies have to use another term. So these are bodysuits. But really they're onesies. These are our replacement for the Gerber kimono side-snap shirts. They're just standard onesies, but they're better quality cotton and seem roomier. They come in a 5 pack, which is great because they're our go-to on especially spitty days. They're also stretchy enough that they can come down (rather than over the head) in the event of a blowout situation. Just a nice basic.
Baby Bjorn
As the weather warmed up, I started to worry that baby C got a little too roasty toasty in the Moby, so we got out the Bjorn (he's less pressed up against my body in it). I like that it's easier to put on while out and about, and also easier for others (e.g., dad) to wear. I think C is also a little too big for the Moby's newborn hug hold but doesn't have the head control for the other holds. So we may be on a little Moby hiatus. Basically, the Bjorn is my friend right now.
{* some people have concerns about babies' hips in these "crotch dangler" style carriers. I discussed this with multiple pediatricians and they all agreed that they're fine, as long as baby is only spending a reasonable amount of time in the carriers and still gets plenty of time to move freely on back and belly. So if you gasped in horror when I mentioned the Bjorn, that's what I have to say about that. There are lots of different carriers out there, so you can find one you feel good about. }


No comments:
Post a Comment