Monday, January 20, 2014

11 Month Faves

Grown-ups' Faves:

Mini Cuisinart


 Seriously, don't bother with all the specialty "make your own baby food" machines. I mean, if you have enough counter space for one more appliance, good for you. But you don't need it. Mr. C is past the puree stage (or, more accurately, maybe never had one), but this little guy is perfect for taking some of what we're having for dinner and making it a texture that's just a little more accessible for him. It also saves me from having to spend MY entire dinner time cutting food into bite-sized pieces. Plus, he seems to be more interested in foods that have multiple flavors, so I can just throw everything in there and make a little melange for him.

BabyGanics Bye Bye Dry


I have definitely noticed that his skin has been more dry as it has gotten colder (especially what with the Polar Vortex and all). This was another winner from a Citrus Lane box, and I've since ordered more. I use it as body wash for him or just squirt some in the bath water, and it does really make a difference. He also loves carrying the bottle around maybe more than any toy, so there's that.

Little Man's Faves:

For his faves this month, I'm spotlighting the items from Christmas that were an instant hit (as opposed to the things we got that are for older babies intentionally). And I mean items beyond cups, laundry baskets, the vacuum cleaner, and spatulas. The point of this is to give you some guidance if you happen to be shopping for a 10-12ish month old.

Fisher Price Crocodile Thing

 

 This was an impulse buy at Costco, but I had a feeling he'd like it. Indeed he does. I like that it can be played with in different ways--stack the people, open and close the croc's mouth to play songs, put things in his mouth, open his back, and so on. It also has a handle that flips out from underneath so that it can be a pull toy, but I haven't shown him this part yet. Preserving some novelty.
(BTW, that Amazon price seems outrageous. I am certain I did not pay that much at Costco). 

Touch & Feel Books


such as this one, from our friend Jack
  

Until they become Bite & Eat Books. 

Little Tikes Get Out N' Grill

I think maybe this is more manageable than the whole kitchen set (though he does like the kitchen). It has clicky knobs and cabinet doors that open and close (and open and close and open and close), so that's a huge hit. Obviously we're not at the level of pretend play yet, but let me tell you this: you haven't laughed until you've seen a baby crawling around with a plastic hot dog in his mouth. 

Shopping Cart

Supports current interest of putting things in to things and then taking things out of things. Also helps him practice walking (NOOOOOOOO).

Melissa & Doug wooden puzzles

with, ahem, jumbo knobs


Does he actually do the puzzles? No. More like uses the pieces as cymbals and/or crawls around with the knob part in his mouth. Weird, but whatever blows your hair back.

Caveat: dogs also like wooden toys (and I have confirmation that this isn't just our dogs).

No comments: