So the entire sidewalk on our side of the street is being demolished to put in some conduits or fibers or gummy bears or hidden treasure or who knows what. They're busting up the sidewalk, putting in the whatevers, and then (theoretically) paving back over with new sidewalk. That part is ok, I guess.
They started about 2 blocks away and we've watched them creep toward us for weeks. They finally arrived and destroyed our front access just in time for the Derby party.
While we cannot use our front steps and can barely get the mail (how the mail carrier even gets it in there is beyond me), the silver lining is that Mr. C loves the machines. Like...LOVES. The poop lining of that silver lining is that he just wants to watch them all the time. This is ok, except for when it's not--like at nap time. If we're inside, he'll forget about them for about 5 minutes, but then remember and run to the door. So now none of our other play areas or toys or indoor activities will suit, because his little goldfish brain remembers the machines just as he starts to possibly enjoy something else.
Dining al fresco with the machines.
Pre-7am machine check. Are they here? Yes.
We beat the workers to the machines.
Over the week, his preferences have evolved--it is no longer sufficient for the machines to simply BE.
They have to be on and working and making dust and noise.
(number of times his head has gotten stuck through the railing: 3 and counting)
I don't really believe in projecting gender stereotypes on to children, but I am here to tell you this shit is real. I had no idea it started so early. I can now tell you the difference between an excavator and a mechanical shovel (trick question! NONE!) and an earth mover and a Bobcat and the jackhammer and the bulldozer. Sometimes the dump truck comes to take the rubble, and the cement mixer should be here soon. If we're not outside, I'm reading Machines at Work 499 times a day. Relatedly, where is the line between following an interest and fueling an obsession? (Oddly, he's not really interested in toy "machines" at present. Do not send any this way).
Today it is raining, which means that not only was our plan to spend the morning at the park a bust, but the machines are also taking the day off. Hope you all enjoyed sleeping in, neighbors. I was once like you.



No comments:
Post a Comment