Monday, March 30, 2015

The Sickies + Crib Items

Mr. C has been laid out, so we've got limited posting ability over here (between watching lots of Cars and Sesame Street). 

However, after 3 vomit episodes (2 in the crib and 1 in a restaurant...many people now need therapy and we won't go there again for a whiiiiiile), I do have some useful recommendations to offer.

He's still in the crib at 2+ years, and we intend to stay there until it is no longer tenable. I've also had several people ask me for suggestions for these items, so here are the bedding winners that stand up to the fraternity-house-level horror shows that babies and toddlers can throw at them.

Restoration Hardware baby & child

Not much to say except that it does what it is supposed to do. I like that it is waterproof without feeling or sounding like baby is rolling around on plastic. And the quilted top makes it feel a little more cushy. I put a crib sheet under it as well so that there's still a sheet ready to go under the pad in the event we have to strip it, say, in the middle of the night. 

Restoration Hardware baby & child

I have lots of crib sheets--from cheapie on up--and I have opinions on most of them. All of mine look different, though they're all fairly neutral. Naturally, a crib sheet gets pretty heavy wear and wash, so at this point I might suggest sticking with a solid color like this one, as many of the patterns have long faded (ours is the ivory pictured above, but they have several in the washed linen). But what I most like about this crib sheet is that it is very generously sized, so it's MUCH easier to get on and off the crib mattress. Like, I have seriously broken a sweat and also fingernails trying to re-cover the mattress with other sheets. The linen feels very sturdy--as opposed to some of our other sheets that are wearing thin--and gets softer over time. I also like that it is supposed to look kind of rumpled, so you don't have to worry about ridiculous thoughts like "Am I supposed to iron the crib sheets or what kind of insanity is this?"

Also: cannot stress enough the importance of duplicates of critical items (sleep sack, lovies, other faves) so that you can still sort of continue to function even with a washer full of soiled bedding. 

No perks or affiliations here; just straight up recommendations I can make after 2 years of crib-sheet changing and 4 days of the bed pukes. 

(Honorable mentions: Apple TV, Gatorade, cocktails for parents)


No comments: