Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dinner & Downton

Do you watch Downton Abbey? It was suggested to us by BA's mom...in-laws + Masterpiece Classic does not necessarily a TV-success recipe make, but in this case, she nailed it. She usually does. This show's got everything: intrigue, the Titanic, secrets, class friction, fancy clothes, sex (sort of), and a healthy helping of historical fiction. And house estate porn. A little for the gentlemen; a little for the ladies. Anyway, peep it. 
The Season 2 promo shot. It's darker because of the war and stuff.

So we are solidly in to Season 2, which I understand was hastily ordered by the network after Season 1 was a smashing surprise success in the UK and subsequently the US. Hear that, British people? We don't all watch America's Next Top Sex Tape or Donald Trump's headpiece or whatever. Season 2 finds us in the midst of World War I, which I must say did not look like a great gig. Thankfully, I hear it's the war to end all wars. 

Because we are usually at family (and sort-of family) dinner on Sunday nights when new episodes air, Downton is faithfully DVR-ed for later viewing. And because I love any excuse for a party, this viewing takes place on a Monday or Tuesday night when many lady friends gather at our humble estate for lots of M&M eating and yelling at the TV. Sometimes I make dinner. While I envision dinner looking like this, a la Abbey:
 it more often involves a Crock-Pot. A lot has changed in 100 years. My kitchen staff are conspicuously absent. 

All that to say a) you might want to watch the show and b) the purpose of this post is to introduce a series in which I spotlight the details and recipes involved in our Downton Dinners. They're designed to fit into a work day (though I admit I have more flexibility than most), feed a crowd, and be relatively healthful and tasty. Enjoy.