Friday, February 17, 2012

A Very Downton Valentines

This year, Valentine's Day fell on a Tuesday, making a Very Downton Valentines a no-brainer. This was actually the continuation/evolution of a tradition that began over a decade ago (ouch) in college. Our dear friend the cheesemonger would gather all the ladies, single or attached, and make a lovely fondue dinner. Some new faces are present now that we have relocated, but I wanted an homage to the fromage of yore. This year's cheesy Valentines had a Tex-Mex twist and did not exactly meet the bar of "healthful and/or nutritious." Sometimes girls just need some cheese.

To start: Chicken Tortilla Soup
This recipe was largely lifted from the one on this site, which I found via Pinterest. I'll include it here with the changes I made and my pictures, but I credit the original source. Predictably, I made mine in a...wait for it...Crock Pot.

Ingredients
3 cups chicken stock
2 skinless, chicken breasts
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
4-6 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup tomato paste
8 oz cotija cheese, crumbled
8 oz pepperjack cheese, divided
1 cup cilantro, chopped

All the fixin's.

Add the chicken stock (well, I used broth) to the pot. Heat over medium. 


Add chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Simmer until chicken is cooked through.



They're in there, I promise.

Remove chicken and set aside. 

 

Add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot. 

I didn't worry about mincing as finely because I used an immersion blender later

Simmer about 30 min, until the tomatoes have begun to break down. Add black beans, corn, and tomato paste. Stir to incorporate.


Add the cotija cheese (crumble it) and half the pepper jack. Stir until melty. A note on cheeses: in my grocery store, the cotija was with the "fancier" cheeses (e.g., brie, goat cheese, spreadables) and not in the shredded cheese section. But if my Kroger had it, you can probably find it. Also, I added the cheese before blending this time; I don't remember how I did it the first time. I might blend first, then add cheese the next time I make it.



After it looks like most of the cheese has melted, bust out the trusty immersion blender and blend that baby down. I initially did this because a) it made the consistency more like I wanted it and b) picky eaters (the little sisters) would not recognize offending ingredients like black beans. Or anything resembling a vegetable, for that matter. I suppose you could also transfer to an actual blender, but that seems like way too much work. Finally, I added the cilantro and some tortilla strips and let them soften before blending again. This thickened the soup nicely. Serve with more tortilla strips and pepperjack on top.


For no reason, an arty picture of the cilantro.

The main course consisted of chicken enchiladas. I stayed true to the recipe in The Best Make-Ahead Recipe, so I'm not going to include the instructions. Behold, an enchilada photo montage.




I always forget to take a photo of the finished product. Don't want to get between ladies and their cheesy goodness.

Finally, for dessert, some fabulous Valentine's cookies (by popular request). These are made by a lovely young lady here in town who uses fresh local and organic ingredients. Many times decorated cookies look cute, but taste underwhelming. These are adorable AND delicious! Some of the custom ones she has done for us probably merit their own post someday. 



Because no gathering would be complete without party favors, all the ladies in attendance got to take home Sweetheart Cookies in a jar. As one kitchen-phobic friend exclaimed, "even I can make these!!"


All the dry ingredients are layered together in a mason jar. When you're ready to make them, you just add egg, butter, and vanilla. As we say around here, le voila, y'all!



I printed the instructions on PowerPoint slides (print as handouts, 2 slides per page, and cut out). Punch a hole and tie with ribbon. I used a doily for VDay, but go buck wild. What I love about these favors is that they can suit any occasion--just switch up the M&Ms and the trimmings. I did "Cookies for Santa" at Christmas with the holiday M&Ms and gave them to friends with little kids. The possibilities are really endless, considering that you can order M&Ms in any colors you want. Original post from Bakerella, via Pinterest. 



Go ahead. Take your cookies. 







No comments: