Monday, July 30, 2012

10 weeks

So this is the first official "update" post...apparently the thing to do is answer this set of questions periodically. I will edit them freely and roll my eyes often, but I do see the appeal of having some consistent items so that we can see a progression. I'm also about as likely to "journal" as I am to suddenly have Beyonce's bootylicious moves, so I'll consider this captured for posterity. For the record, I will generally eschew references to the bump, and all its derivatives (bumpdate, bumpwatch).

How Far Along: 10 weeks


Total Weight Gain: You people have got to be kidding if you think I'm going to post my weight on the interwebs. Suffice it to say I feel like a Ziploc of Jello. This question will be disposed of post haste. 

Size of Baby: According to different sources, a kumquat, date, or prune. A panel of esteemed judges has opted to go with kumquat, as we think the other items are too wrinkly. For reference:

a baby tree!


Maternity Clothes:  Not yet. The blue jeans won't last much longer, but I think I'll be able to make do with many "regular" clothes for a while.

Stretch Marks: No, and I hope it stays that way. This question also faces elimination, because ew. 

Gender: Unknown, and won't know for a while. The peanut gallery all say boy, but I won't speculate.

Movement: None for me to feel, but apparently the wee one has started to boogie in there.

Sleep: Fine. Want more all the time. Very vivid dreams that I can recall the next day, which is unusual.

What I miss: Cocktail hour. Not so much the actual drinks, but I find myself feeling left out at that certain time in the evening (afternoon) when everyone simultaneously heeds some invisible signal to transition into wine-and-cheese hour. It should be noted that we are on vacation, so it's quite the event. I don't actually miss drinking in any tragic way, but there's certainly something to be said for the social ritual. 

Cravings: So far, I haven't had extreme cravings or aversions--just what I have referred to as "sounds good/sounds bad." I don't know if this is because I truly haven't had cravings, or because my threshold is different from other people's. I will say that lemonade helps the occasional squishy-tummy feeling, and I'm generally on a little-kid diet (muffins, grilled cheese, Gatorade, pasta). I'm looking forward to feeling like tackling better (i.e., more healthful) food again, and I think that's probably not too far away.

Other crazy symptoms: You'll rue the day you suggested your husband read a baby book, because all I'm hearing is that I'm going to be clumsy and forgetful with gingivitis. However, I seem to have dodged those bullets for now. My gums are a little sore, but I won't give him the satisfaction of using his new favorite refrain, "Yes, that's typical."

Best Moment this week: Discovering that this Brie is pasteurized. Giving up the wine AND cheese just seemed too cruel. I will be forever grateful for this revelation.