Monday, July 29, 2013

5 Month Faves

de la Boutique Target



So, yes, it's a onesie fiesta 'round these parts, and I know I have a new one in basically every post. But as I keep getting better at this, I feel like I should share. The last ones I'd found were the Leveret bodysuits, but I grabbed these at Target about a month ago (it's a 5-pack, so we can wear one every day!). I actually don't love getting baby clothes at Target, because--while they carry good brands--the actual items they choose to carry tend to be WAAAAY over-gendered for my liking. And also heavy on the "cute" sayings, like "Mommy's handsome devil you should see my daddy prince of everything" and then I barf in aisle 9. But I digress. These were pretty middle-of-the-road, if not exactly neutral. I like them better than the Leveret because 1) the sleeves are finished, so they look slightly less raggedy-baby and 2) a little color and pattern jazzes things up. Perfect with a little chambray short (don't call them jorts). They only go up to 3-6 month size, and he's almost too long for them. I'll be sad when they don't fit anymore.

BioGaia probiotics

This is another essential item that I've been using from almost the beginning, but realized I have never mentioned. So I am telling you now. When C was fresh home from the hospital, we had some nighttime tummy issues that I think were uncomfortable for him and kept him (and me) awake. I mentioned this at his 2-week checkup, and his pediatrician suggested probiotics. Once firmly out on the crunchy-hippie-woo-woo end of the spectrum, probiotics are gaining serious empirical support as a solution to all things that ail us.

Read this for science. (NYTimes article)

He takes these (almost) every day on a spoon, and--while I can't prove that life would be terrible without them--they certainly don't hurt. The only down side is price, but it's worth it for us.

NOTE: BioGaia must have recently done a big ol' corporate deal, because these are now sold as Gerber "colic drops." Old packaging on left; new packaging on right.





I think this name is vague at best and misleading or dangerous at worst and I might write them a little email about it, but so it goes. You can still see the BioGaia label rendered tiny at the top of the new box, and I've compared the ingredient lists--they're exactly the same. Just know that your store might have the old or new box. I have found these only at Walgreens; they're best not ordered through Amazon because the good bacteria are killed if they are exposed to high temperatures, so I don't want the box sitting out on my porch.

available at Vulli online store, Amazon, Nordstrom, or any baby store


Ah, Sophie. Staple of baby showers everywhere. Even if you get multiples, keep them. You'll likely want one in several locations (diaper bag, home, grandparents' house) and/or backups once your baby gets hooked. It must be something about the shape that's easy to hold and multiple options for gnawing (e.g., nubby head, legs). I am not saying I understand, I'm just saying get you some. 

Also, before C was really dextrous enough for big Sophie, we started with the smaller travel Sophie. Also a fave.


If you're so inclined, you can also check out the books with Sophie and her French friends. 

Aden + Anais dribble bibs


for your little drooler. Soft and absorbent like all their items, but it's the side snap that makes them a winner. 





Freddie's got a lot going on. But this makes him pretty interesting...crinkle, mirrors, rings, garish colors...C loves it all. Also attaches to the car seat, stroller, or links. Which brings me to...

Lots of Links


I wrote about these once before in this post, but I can now vouch for my past self first-hand. He plays with them on their own (single links and chains), and I hang them from the stroller or car seat. I also use them to attach other toys (e.g., Freddie) to the exersaucer or swing or whatever. And maybe I've also been known to put a link leash on some toys that roll after I get tired of fetching them for the hundredth time. I'm not saying I have, but I'm not saying I haven't. At least I've never used them to hold on to the baby. Yet. 



No comments: