I poached this recipe from my sister's Pinterest, but when I clicked on the link, it went nowhere. There was one recipe in the picture's caption, but it appeared the picture was taken from another site with another recipe. This kind of internet black hole is increasingly common on Pinterest, and it irks me. But that's not really the point here. The point is that I made something with quinoa in it.
Since there wasn't really a recipe, I just sort of made it up based on some snippets and what was around.
Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
chicken broth
garlic
---
1 lb lean ground turkey
4 red bell peppers
frozen corn
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 4-oz can diced green chiles
onion powder
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Combine the quinoa, 2 cups chicken broth, and garlic (I used about 1 tsp minced but any form will do). You can also cook the quinoa in water, but I was trying to add a little extra flavor. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid and the little quinoas have exploded open or whatever they do.
Meanwhile, cook the turkey in a large pan until it is no longer pink. Add the green chiles, tomato paste, corn, onion powder, and whatever else sounds good to you. Mix well. Stir in the cheese.
Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove the ribs and seeds from the insides. Scoop the filling into the peppers and stand them in a baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
These turned out pretty well (sorry, no pic). I would probably make them a little spicier if I made them again, and you definitely need to add salt and pepper. Some black beans in the stuffing and maybe avocado on the side would be fun. Other than that, not much could improve upon them other than handfuls of cheese and other delicious things that would pretty much cancel out the health points you get for making something with quinoa.
No comments:
Post a Comment