Thursday, February 21, 2013

(40 Weeks)

Today was the official due date, so I thought I'd do one last post for that. While it was more than a little stressful that he arrived prior to the due date, I'm glad we've already got almost 2 weeks under our collective belt.


How Far Along: Today was the EDD--40 weeks. This is, at best, an inexact science. As such, he's got 11 days on the outside. 

Total Weight Gain: GAIN SCHMAIN. I haven't hopped on the scale in a few days, but last time I checked I was down about 24 lbs from my weight at delivery. I suspect that the pounds get harder to lose--the first 20 are basically a freebie what with baby, placenta, and fluid--but I'll take it. I don't know what's "typical," but I'll share my experience. I had hoped to start going on walks around now as I feel pretty good physically but it has gotten too cold to really take him out for the time being. But the weather here is a fickle beast, so I am pretty confident that some nicer days aren't too far away. 

Size of Baby: Baby is the size of a jackfruit, a watermelon, or an actual 8-pound human baby.

Maternity Clothes: Yes, still. Mostly leggings and jeans. I'm still wearing the v-neck Mossimo Target tees (non-maternity) that I wore all the way through pregnancy. They work well on this side of the deal as well. The general look has been characterized as "homeless yoga instructor."

I could probably wear non-maternity leggings or larger-than-pre-preg-size Lulu, but no need to push things yet. I would say I left the hospital looking about 6 months pregnant and now look maybe 14-15 weeks pregnant? With clothes on, that is. The belly situation is weird and I'll leave it at that. 

Stretch Marks: Never got any. On the belly, at least. I know I largely have my mother to thank for that, but all future pregnant friends will be receiving this as a gift from me:



Gender: It's a boy. No surprise there. 

Movement: N/A? But I miss that part a little bit. 

Sleep: 
Him: Really good, I think. He's napping in his swing now. Sleeps well and pretty much anywhere during the day, but we are still working toward the goal of having him sleep in the bassinet between feedings at night. We tried this for serious last night and it went...ok. I didn't get less sleep than doing it the other way, and BA got more. The pediatrician suggested a couple tricks so we'll just see what works and know that it won't be magically resolved in a day. I'm going to try to keep him more active for some stretches during the day--looking at stuff, etc.--to hopefully help switch his day/night cycle. Because it's totally backwards at this point. Which is normal. 

Me: see above, I suppose. 

It isn't perfect, but I know a lot of people have it a lot worse. 

Cravings: I don't have any cravings or aversions, but appetite has been weird. I was STARVING during labor, probably because we had rushed through dinner before going in and, once there, I was only allowed a clear liquid diet. I never want to see Hi-C orange Jello again. But after birth, I have struggled to get a normal appetite back. I'm usually hungry for dinner--probably because people keep bringing awesome food--but during the day just have to eat because I know I'm supposed to. Generally the desserts that people have brought, because why not?

Other crazy symptoms: Trouble regulating body temperature; night sweats. General soreness and whole-body achiness a couple days in, but that has largely gone away. Spontaneous displays of emotion. Recovery-wise, I think I'm doing well, but that definitely adds another dimension to trying to take care of a newborn. I would say I feel like I turned a corner in that department about two days ago, which was a welcome change. 

Best Moment this week: They're all best moments...he really is a sweet and easygoing baby. Feeding is going well, the jaundice is resolving, and his weight gain is on track. Watching BA with his little buddy is also particularly sweet and entertaining. 

These hockey games aren't gonna watch themselves...

No comments: