Friday, February 1, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

I saw this recipe on Pinterest on the precise day that I needed to use up some bananas that were a wee past their prime, so here you go.

I made a few modifications, so will reproduce here for your benefit. They turned out well, and are a good snack with less guilt, as they contain no sugar or flour. I'd say they are one of those things that are just good to have around, or would even be good to take to a new mom--they are easy to grab at any time of day, and oatmeal is said to help with milk supply. Who knew?

These are not particularly sweet, which I liked--muffins are often dessert masquerading as a healthy snack these days--but use sugar or more honey if you find them lacking.

Banana Oatmeal Muffins
makes 12 muffins

2.5 cups cooking oats
2 very ripe bananas
1 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt (I used one container of Fage 2%)
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a muffin tin.

Pulse the oats in a food processor for about 10 seconds.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and blend until well mixed and the oats are smooth.

At this point, feel free to add chocolate chips or anything you'd like to dress it up a little bit.

Fill muffin tins with batter and bake for about 16-18 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Ta-da! Easy peasy.

No comments: