Friday, February 8, 2013

Brunch @ Blvd

This is not the post you're looking for. But I had a couple lined up, so I wanted to get them posted before the new arrival. Otherwise, I strongly suspect they'd never happen.

BA cleared his calendar last Sunday before the game, so we were looking for something fun to do. Within my limits. Which pretty much just means eating. A new restaurant just opened down the street from us, so we thought we'd check it out for brunch. It was their first brunch, but everything went smoothly and was fabulous. It wasn't crowded, though it might be in a few weeks when people get hip to it. 



The restaurant (formerly Cha Chah) was rehabbed and reopened by the same owner, Arnold Myint (of Top Chef..."fame"? "appearance"?) A lot of it feels really similar in that they kept the same basic layout, but the vibe is pretty different. Notably, they have a pretty large market-type area in the front that had interesting snacks to grab, assorted jams and such, and--a very good idea given the proximity to Belmont--a grab-n'-go section with wraps and salads. I was also intrigued by the large display of macarons at the host's check-in table. I must go back to investigate. 

Seriously. And this doesn't even include the fun cocktail side of the menu. Let me just say: mimosas by the carafe.

We started with a breakfast appetizer--an excellent concept--from the a la carte menu. The croissant came with a whipped vanilla butter and apricot jam. Magnifique. 

I went for the waffle. The bacon is chopped and is in the topping with the cinnamon apples (slow clap).



BA's huevos rancheros.

Bottom line: We recommend and will definitely be back. I hope they do well, but I also hope it doesn't get so buzzed-about that it's really crowded. We went at about 12:30 and it was nice to just be able to walk in and sit down, as well as hang around for a bit after the meal. When we go out to eat in the neighborhood, we usually mosey down to the 12th Ave side, rather than the Belmont side. However, this will be a very strong draw. I definitely foresee strolling bebe down that way for Sunday Funday 1/2-price bottles of wine. Just sayin'.

So check it out. 

No comments: