Friday, May 31, 2013

Bathing Beauty

We celebrated Memorial Day with baby's first trip to the pool! This was especially fun for me as it's the pool where I grew up swimming with my besties, and they're also unveiling a new facelift this summer, so we enjoyed seeing what was new. Like the "zero-entry" baby pool, which is one of those things I guess I care about now. Also, that's just a fancy architect way of saying "it slopes." See below.



I will strategically place this baby so I can pretend that I didn't just put a picture of my postpartum self in a bathing suit on the internet.

And I don't know why he looks like he's melting.

There's also a new cabana, playground, and bar, all of which will be useful in different ways in the future.


We've already been back to the pool once this week with friendbabies Brooks and Harrison, and it was warm enough that we can get all the way in now. I'd say he loved it, but it wasn't so much a day of happy splashing, just more like he just sort of entered a Zen mode and was totally happy to just chill in the water forever. Harrison splashed gleefully enough for all of us and any other babies within a six-mile radius. Brooks entertained us with his new Beyonce impression, which has nothing to do with the pool but is too funny not to mention. 

It's a little bit of a process to get all the gear and I'm still mystified by swim diapers (they don't absorb anything?!?), but I think it's a good activity and we'll log some good pool hours over the summer. I'm also glad we brilliantly timed the baby to be born in February (nice work) so that he was big enough to go places and I am functional enough to do things by the time summer rolled around. He's still littler than his friends (I mean, obviously he always will be, but a few months makes a big difference at this age), and it's a challenge that he can't wear sunscreen until 6 months so I have to learn whole new sun-protection things, but we can make it work. 

Welcome, summer! I am ever so glad to see you.


No comments: