Monday, May 13, 2013

Three Months

Well, bud...we made it. The end of the much-maligned fourth trimester. I would say you "settled" around 10 or 11 weeks, and it seems like things got much easier after that. You are generally full of smiles and like hanging out with everyone.




You're still eating well. Those little thighs are chunkin' up for sure. Some mornings when we get up I think you look bigger than just the day before. Maybe it's the 3-month growth spurt. During the day, you eat every 2.5-3 hours but have gotten much more efficient and predictable. It's still definitely a limiting factor in our ability to go do things, but nursing is now very well established and I think there are many elements of it that are now easier than the alternative. Somewhere in the last month or so, you just sort of figured out how to take the bottle. It's not your favorite, and you're not great at it, but it makes me feel better to know that you can, if needed. So my advice to anyone who's struggling with the same dilemma is to just keep trying (even with bottles or nipples you've already tried) and, somehow, through the magic of development, babies might just figure it out.

I would say that (according to the technical definition of 6+ hours) you are sleeping through the night. It was actually much more settled until about a week ago, when you shook it up for some reason I can't identify. We thought you were moving your bedtime earlier, but now I'm not sure. Generally you sleep from about 10-5, at least. The past few nights we've seen some middle-of-the-night feedings again, but you pushed them back by exactly an hour each night (2am one night, then 3 the next, then 4). I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I got sick--I'm not sure you were getting as full before bedtime as you were used to--or is just a weird 3-month thing.

Our next goal is to get you sleeping in the crib full time. Many to most naps are now in the crib, as it's easier for me to predict them and so build a routine around them. A few still happen in the swing or you might fall asleep while eating.


Not gonna mess with this.


 Part of this transition and age is also to start weaning off the swaddle, so we are now the proud owners of Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit. We're starting it at naps and will move to nighttime when that's established. Or when you outgrow the current swaddlesack, which is imminent. So for naps we usually get into the suit and then the crib. Sometimes you want to rock or walk a little bit, but sometimes you just want me to put you down. You can pretty much put yourself to sleep if you have the pacifier (I'm trading one problem for another, I know, but we'll just deal with that as it comes). You generally only sleep about 30 minutes in the crib, but we do what we can.


Perhaps it's because you know I'm laughing at you on the other side of the monitor.


At night, you're still in the bassinet by our bed, but you're almost too big for it, so your move is coming regardless of whether you (and I) are ready. Typically we did bath, lotion, jammies, sleepsack, nurse, bed, but I think you're mixing that up as well. Last night you didn't really want to eat much before bed--maybe you were still full from an earlier feeding--so I just went ahead and put you in the bassinet and you went to sleep. I don't know what it all means. But basically as soon as something levels out, it changes again. We'll see. All in all, you're really a good sleeper, especially at night, so we are profoundly grateful and not complaining.


Overall, you're just a content and smiley baby. Sometimes when I'm trying to get you to nap, the pacifier keeps falling out of your mouth because you keep smiling. I'd say it's frustrating, but how can I be mad about that? You like eating, bathtime, looking at things, being around people...all good stuff. We can still go out for family dinner and such, and you're generally pretty quiet. You don't sleep through all the action anymore, but if you're sitting on someone's lap or take a short walk, you just chill all through the grownup dinner. At the Derby party, you just hung out with Sara and looked around for hours. I know these days are numbered, as soon you'll need to be entertained, but for now you just go with our flow. Even Doc is impressed. You just like looking around with your big blue eyes and long eyelashes and taking it all in.






Likes:


  • lying on a mat in the nursery and looking at Light Fixture 





  • any and all other light fixtures, and also a nice ceiling fan from time to time
  • bathtime
  • chatting on the changing table
  • monkey seat and its friend at Doc & Jules's house, rainforest seat
  • looking at people
  • the birdies on your swing
  • a few books
  • the Baby Bjorn
  • your hands in your mouth



Dislikes:

  • you still sometimes have tough wakeups, usually in the afternoon. Time and snuggles seem to be the cure
  • sometimes something is just not right--usually during an outfit or diaper change--and you suddenly cry as if you are on fire. This is increasingly rare but certainly makes us move fast


Milestones:

  • No major new discrete milestones. You are wanting to move your hands intentionally to reach and grab or bat things, but I think it's not quiiiiite there
  • Good head and neck control
  • Overall, just increasingly alert and aware of your environment
  • Beginnings of self-soothing
  • "Talking" back and forth with people, and seeming to start to understand that you can "talk" to get someone's attention. Playing with your voice and noises (different sounds, blowing bubbles or raspberries, etc.)
  • Standing on your legs when held in position


Stats:

  • 14+ lbs and growing fast

Diapers: size 2. But given the increasing frequency of blowouts, I think it's time to size up. Again.

Nicknames: Mister Man, Smiles Davis, Guy Smiley, The Baby, Sugar Booger, and the Chunkamunk

Really, you're just a little muffin and we love you. It's fun to be more and more interactive and feel like you know us and actually kind of like us. I'm not sure what we both ever did to end up with such a sweet baby, but I'll take it.


No comments: