Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Today's Special

Blueberry yogurt (the grocery was out of vanilla) and steamed sweet potatoes.



And also, because we wouldn't want things to get TOO easy, we are continuing this food adventure without any hot water in our house. Sunday night, our water heater decided it had had enough of our shenanigans and died a quick and unexpected death. I sort of noticed this while giving the baby a bath Sunday night, but chose to ignore it (you can't just turn them off and then on again like the printer? No?) until Brian had to take a very invigorating Navy shower on Monday morning and we had to face the music. Water Heater was about 7 years old, which is young in the world of water heater deaths (I'm told by people who know these sorts of things that they last about 10 years) but too old to still be under warranty. The sweet spot, if you will. So we have to bathe that yogurt-covered baby over at my parents' house, and I can't do laundry or run the dishwasher. I mean, I guess I COULD do a cold water wash in a pinch (for clothes and dishes; not the baby), but I feel like I want his stuff to be washed in hot water. Because it's covered in the mess you see above. 

Supposedly the new water heater is getting installed today. We'll see. There have been a few hiccups already. The "plus" side (what I'm telling myself is a positive to distract myself from the budgetary pain) is that we're getting one of the fancy instant water heaters. Ideally this translates to energy savings and also some tax benefits. It's probably also good for value should we ever sell this house. So, you know...silver lining. Yogurt-covered lining. It's all good. 

No comments: