I actually started this post more than a year ago, when C was about 4 months old. I guess at that point he was past the meatloaf phase and I was feeling like he needed to wear more than just onesies and we were doing social things like leaving the house. Anyway, I stand by what I wrote then--though for whatever reason I never finished the post--and have another year of "experience" at this juncture. Here, I'm covering newborn to about age 2.
Click through for more--this is a lengthy one.
I've changed the format of my original post, though, and grouped by "type/occasion" for baby and toddler clothing. An advance organizer for you:
- Casual and budget-friendly
- from, like, basically disposable up through school-appropriate play clothes
- One step up
- sturdy play clothes and weekend wear
- Cute things
- for social gatherings, photos, and so on
- Other items of note (e.g., swim wear) and special occasion
These categories are fluid, but I hope that helps guide you toward what you're looking for.
{Note: I am only writing about little boys' clothing here, mainly because that's what I know. All the places I mention also sell girls' clothing, but I think it's worth providing a little extra guidance to shoppers for boy children, because boys definitely get short shrift in the clothing department. Most stores feel like 70% girl clothing, so the options for boys are much more limited. As for what that means about the extreme gendering to which we currently subject America's children...another topic for another day.}
Casual for Home and School
You probably don't need a lot of guidance here--pretty much everyone can find a Target--but my aim is to assure you that it is ok if your child wears things from this category really, truly almost all of the time.
Seriously, in the early days, just go cheapie. I know you pinned really cute baby outfits and were gifted some precious and special things, but the day-to-day reality is another story. Babies produce outfit-ruiners from both ends of their tiny bodies multiple times a day AND can be impossible to dress, so make it easy on yourself and just stick with onesies/bodysuits for the vast majority of the time. I promise you are not the only mom doing it, even if you feel like everyone else always has it together. It's an illusion.
As they get older, you're doing fewer outfit changes, but they're also messy in new ways. C goes to school a few days a week now, and my personal preference is to dress him in things that can definitely get messy. His school encourages this, which makes them win my heart even more. I concede that almost everything is washable these days and the clothing culture of every preschool is a little different, but young children learn through doing and touching and that is messy. Embrace it, and buy shirts that let you bear witness to this exploration without cringing about stains.
The hands-down winner in this house is Carter's. A lot of it is still really cute and presentable looking, and you can't beat the prices. They can rock the little coordinated sets from day 1 (the layettes) up through "daycare sets" and beyond. My one gripe is that they are a little too in to bodysuits, even for bigger kids. I guess those are just for the really big babies, but I don't think you need a snap crotch in 2T. So now I prefer the sets that have a t-shirt and/or I just give away the bodysuit. I particularly like that you can buy Carter's at Target, Costco, department stores, and online (via their website or it's a great way to use Babies R Us gift cards). Costco is better for the bigger sizes; Target seems to go way heavier on the infant stuff. Note that it generally is NOT cheaper on Amazon.
Brands to look for and where to buy:
Carter's
Circo
Gerber
Leverette
Target and Amazon
Lots of Old Navy and some of the stuff from Baby Gap also fits the bill.
Special Occasion and Other Stuff
The only other "other" category I could think of was swimwear. My best pro tip came from Grace Ann, who said to hit up Janie and Jack early in the summer. They sell coordinated sets (down to the sunglasses) (which we broke the first week), but they sell out quickly.
As they get older, you're doing fewer outfit changes, but they're also messy in new ways. C goes to school a few days a week now, and my personal preference is to dress him in things that can definitely get messy. His school encourages this, which makes them win my heart even more. I concede that almost everything is washable these days and the clothing culture of every preschool is a little different, but young children learn through doing and touching and that is messy. Embrace it, and buy shirts that let you bear witness to this exploration without cringing about stains.
The hands-down winner in this house is Carter's. A lot of it is still really cute and presentable looking, and you can't beat the prices. They can rock the little coordinated sets from day 1 (the layettes) up through "daycare sets" and beyond. My one gripe is that they are a little too in to bodysuits, even for bigger kids. I guess those are just for the really big babies, but I don't think you need a snap crotch in 2T. So now I prefer the sets that have a t-shirt and/or I just give away the bodysuit. I particularly like that you can buy Carter's at Target, Costco, department stores, and online (via their website or it's a great way to use Babies R Us gift cards). Costco is better for the bigger sizes; Target seems to go way heavier on the infant stuff. Note that it generally is NOT cheaper on Amazon.
Brands to look for and where to buy:
Carter's
Circo
Gerber
Leverette
Target and Amazon
Lots of Old Navy and some of the stuff from Baby Gap also fits the bill.
Circo bodysuits (Target) I mentioned as a Favorite Thing here
Baby Gap chambray shorts
This was from one of my absolute favorite sets--cute and comfy and neutral!
Both clothes and jammies. Carter's Precious Firsts line, which is exclusive to Target.
Carter's 3-piece set from Costco
(on his first-ever day of school!)
Bonus shot for the fox bottom
Another Carter's from Costco--anchor polo shirt with striped shorts
Cherokee polo and Circo khaki(ish?) shorts, both from Target
First day of school this year
Just ordered this one. 12 bucks, y'all.
Carter's at babiesrus.com (had a random gift card)
See? He can go to school and still look presentable, I think.
Weekend Wear
I think a lot of this stuff is ok as school or everyday, but also for going out and seeing real humans. Sort of an in-between category if you're not wanting to spend your entire budget on the nice stuff, especially when they're younger and cruise through sizes faster than you can even keep up.
Cool Dude shirt (a fave) and jeans, Baby Gap
Shorts and button-down from Janie & Jack
cardigan from Nordstrom
Anchors Aweigh from Smocked Auctions
If you don't know Smocked Auctions and you like this stuff, you need to get on that train. It is basically all the nicer stuff that they sell at boutiques for much less. The catch is that they post on social media with limited quantities and you "bid" via commenting and win if you post before they run out. They are on Facebook, but I have found that it works much, much better on Instagram. It's easier to see and comment, and for some reason the way Facebook is set up often hides a lot of their posts. There are several similar accounts, so look around and see what you like. It goes a little something like this:
Golf applique jon jon from Smocked Auctions
(man, he loved this. He would carry it around like a lovey and go "golf? golf?" I was so sad when he outgrew it)
shirt is Funtasia Too
available locally at Helen's
check their (terrible) website for a store near you that carries it
If these looks aren't your thing, Nordstrom has great "fashion baby" options.
Parties, Photos, Holiday, and Keepsake
Initial Lobster Bubble, Rags Land
Vanderbilt Longall and shirt, Vive La Fete/Smocked Spirit
Smocked Auctions: holiday-specific and themes (birthday, characters, etc.)
They'll post a heads up or pre-sale when a certain theme is coming up
(plus the shirt that goes underneath with white monogram on collar)
If you want a specific holiday/something but don't want to do the online auction thing, the place to go is
This brand is bella bliss, which also has a great website with many more options
locally at Plaid Rabbit
yes my child has legs
Holiday outfits that make you hate your mom, Plaid Rabbit and Kayce Hughes
(both will also do monogramming if you like)
Plaid Rabbit also does custom appliques to order, if you can't find what you're looking for (the horror)
This one's for you, Carey!
Derby 2013
personalized hooded sweater & corduroy pants, Helen's
Derby 2014
Janie & Jack (polo + white linen shorts, which have actually held up amazingly well all summer)
Monogram jon jons, Smocked Auctions
I feel ya.
We had christening gowns in the family, but bella bliss has nice ones if you're in the market.
Mr. C is not in the upcoming nuptials, but he'll be in the photos, so he needed a wedding outfit. I asked around, and the consensus was Helen's (the brand is Pieces by Tam)--and lots of people do hand-me-overs. I think it's sweet to add to the story of a total one-timer outfit by having many littles wear it on special days.
So I've got one now if you need it.
you know, the goofy stuff. Like button-on shorts.
Instant heirloom, though.
Jammies
Chances are, you'll be given a lot of jams and sleepwear as baby gifts, so you'll be able to see what works for you and go from there. I liked everything from Carter's to Kissy Kissy, with different configurations for different stages. We particularly enjoy that Carter's has fun holiday options.
For the past 8 months or so, my favorite has been Hanna Andersson pajamas. They are still one piece, but I like that they zip up instead of snap. Every second counts once baby is mobile! They are stupid expensive for pajamas, but they are on sale on Gilt very often (under their brand name and Hanna for Serena & Lily), so keep an eye out.
Outerwear
I think this comes down to two main options. If you just need something to cover the kid from the house to the car and back, go cheap and easy or cute or whatever works for you.
Raincoat, Old Navy
However, if you're really wanting something that does a serious job (e.g., you'll be walking in the cold or the like), I say get a performance brand that you/an adult would wear. Outerwear is more generously sized and doesn't need to fit perfectly, meaning it can be worn for longer and thereby partly offset the higher price tag.
North Face fleece (note how the sleeves are too long!) and Ugg boots,
both from Nordstrom
We also loved our fuzzy Patagonia vest from Bink's last fall/winter/spring.
Swimmies
I found that we needed at least one backup swim set (trunks + rash guard) in case of wet laundry, and the ones I got at Target have done just as well. If you want something a little more on the cute side, all the smocked-type places I have mentioned also sell swim trunks or girl suits. Carter's also makes swim sets.
Finally, I would be remiss not to mention our Babiators. Pricey, but they stand up well to a rough toddler (if you can get him to keep them on...)
Whew! Thanks for hangin' in. Anything I am missing?































No comments:
Post a Comment