I think we tend to judge people's cognitive abilities based on their ability to communicate, which is clearly an error but probably innately human. As C has started gathering more words--too many to count or list now!--and stringing them together, I've realized that there's a lot more going on in that little noggin than I may have been giving him credit for. Both in terms of what he understands or puts together, and what he is able to remember from the past.
We're typically hearing two- and three-word phrases now, with an occasional four-plus utterance to kind of tell a story of sorts. Some notable phrases of late:
- Reminding himself what belongs to whom: "mommy water" or "dada work"
- Quantities: "yights! More yights!" and requests: "More awuls [waffles] please"
- he almost always says those while still signing them, which kills me with the cute
- animal cracker shoe! (I look over to see that, yes, he is filling his shoe with his animal crackers)
- Yaya ride choo choo! (We saw a choo choo in a book on Wednesday, but I didn't understand what that had to do with Yaya. Then he said, "Yaya ride choo choo...baby" and I realized he was talking about riding a train with her at a birthday party the previous Sunday)
- watch hockey [with] dada?
- We saw a fire truck drive by the house and waved at them. The firefighters waved back! He later told BA "Hi, wee ooo wee ooo! BIG wee ooo wee ooo."
He's pretty much right on track: lots of nouns, a few verbs, and missing prepositions/other connector words, and I'm not making claims of baby geniusing, but it's so interesting to see how he puts it all together to get his message across.


No comments:
Post a Comment