Morning: roller. Afternoon: ice (well...watching the hockey game).
A friend of ours had told us about "Little Kid Skate" at the roller rink on Saturday mornings, so this weekend--totally out of indoor activities and parenting solo--we joined in.
It's totally ridiculous. First, the skate center is exactly as it was when I attended approximately 2-3 birthday parties per month there, circa 1990. They give the kids skates, and these little walkers, have colored lights and disco balls, and play all the "kid hits" (the DJ made me want to die a little).
I believe in the background of this clip you can hear a snippet of "Funkytown," as performed by The Chipmunks. I'll let you start your Monday with that.
He did so great--I was worried he'd be overwhelmed (and he was, at first), but I told him he didn't have to do anything and could just watch. So obviously then he wanted to put his skates on. Reverse psychology for the win.
Those tiny suckers are SO heavy, so it must be great exercise for them. But the bonus for adults is that it's an extremely slow-motion kid-exhauster. You don't have to chase them, and they're not really going to get hurt. I think we circled the rink 2 or 3 times in 45 minutes, which was ok because I was laughing too hard to do anything.
We will definitely go back. If you're interested:
Little Kid Skate
Saturdays, 9:30am (before the birthday parties)
Brentwood Skate Center
you definitely want to be there by of before 9:30 so they don't run out of tiny skate sizes or walkers.
Adults can skate alongside, but I opted not to rent skates on our first visit so I could get the hang of things.
It's a jungle out there.

1 comment:
This is amazing. I'm glad you survived the music.
Post a Comment