(I also wrote more specifically about popular toys around age one in this post.)
Toys
(pictures are links)
dot stampers
magnet tiles
Magformers MagnaTiles
blocks and MegaBlocks
"cut food" -- Melissa & Doug Wooden Cutting Food
(a couple other brands make something similar, too. As long as it has a kiddie knife, it's a hit)
M&D cookies and birthday cake
Pottery Barn Kids
wooden trucks, trains, and play sets
**A note about train sets: I recommend PBK, Brio, and/or Melissa and Doug. These are the classic wooden tracks and these brands' trains and tracks are compatible with each other. Chuggington trains and Thomas the Tank engine sets only work with their own tracks (Thomas trains work on wooden tracks, but other trains don't work on Thomas tracks). Jerks. Also, I invite their executives to explain this to toddlers.**
Safari Set
(PBK website says it's not currently available, but check back or look at similar items)
I love the sturdy (and safe) wooden construction, and that these are open-ended toys with a lot of play options as kids develop.
but Costco carries some good looking wooden ones at the best prices if you keep an eye out.
Gear and Supplies
This portion is more like "baby things we still use," so might be a handy guide if you are looking for a gift for parents of an infant, but really want them to get serious mileage out of it.
Aden + Anais serenity star
Still our white noise machine for sleep time. I like that it gives off enough light to see a little, but it's not too bright at all. It glows white normally, but will turn blue if the room temperature is too cool or red if it's too hot.
Precious Planet mobile
I first wrote about this in the 4 Month Faves post, so it has been with us for a while. We have used it only as the "light show" (projector) for a while. The batteries died recently, and I thought I could let it ride, but C asked me to "fix it." Yesterday when I went in to get him after nap, he was lying quietly and looking at the lights on the ceiling. He was so excited it was back and wanted me to lie down and watch it too. Great for extending crib time for a bit.
Motorola video monitor
Motorola video monitor
still going strong.
Ergo
Left: Original Ergo ~ Right: Ergo 360
My love for this is well documented, and I wrote a bit about it in the Gear post. But I just wanted to confirm that we still use it on occasion--most recently when walking downtown to a Preds game (it's a little too far and too traffic-y for me to feel comfortable with him walking on his own). He rides on BA's back and loves a "piggy ride." The original states it's usable up to 45 pounds.
And there you go. You will now be the best gifter at the baby shower, first birthday party, or other celebration. You can thank me
Amazon links are affiliate links




No comments:
Post a Comment