Thursday, October 18, 2012

22-week photo shoot

When we went for the anatomy scan at 19 weeks, the docs said that everything looked good with baby, but that his stomach was measuring a little large. By this they meant the actual stomach, not the abdomen, and I do not know what sorts of terrible things an enlarged stomach might indicate. I saved myself the trauma of asking Dr. Google--they ordered a re-check in three weeks, so I figured I'd just wait until then. My doctor said it was a "probable normal variant" and ordered us not to worry. She is abundantly cautious, so if she's not worried, I'm not worried.

So that scan was today, at 22 weeks. Before I go further, I will just assure you that everything looks fine. And I can say that because they pretty much looked at everything. Again. Heart, brain, cord, kidneys, spine, big bones, hands, feet, face, nose, upper lip, and--of course--the stomach in question. Which the sonographer said looked "perfect" and the doctor said is "still a little big, but baby may just like it that way." So, in short, nothing to worry about at this point. They want to take another look in 4 weeks, so we will go back then. If they want to be extra monitor-y and I just have to endure more ultrasounds, it's ok with me.

There was also a slight kerfuffle with due-date calculation--imagine how relaxed and measured I was when the sonographer said something about February 7 (we've been working with a date of February 21). When she finished up, she stepped out of the room so she and the doctor could reconcile all the dates that were popping up in my file and in the computer (the ultrasound machine gives estimated gestation based on measurements, too). So...long story short, there was some incorrect information in the computer and who knows what else was going on, but we are sticking with a due date of February 21 for now. Phew. And I am sure I'll be singing a different tune when those final weeks roll around, but baby coming on baby's schedule is a different issue than medically subtracting TWO WEEKS from the EDD. Lord. Also, if the date were indeed in early Feb, then baby was measuring quite small (about 2 weeks small...hmmm...), and they were worried. But with the correct date, he's right on track. Imagine that. So it also made the difference between a red flag and an A-OK.

On to the photos. Well, just one photo, since I have decided to spare you the head-on photo of his face...it could be a little scary, but it was fun to see in real time. Just ask to see it if you really care, I suppose, but I'm trying hard to not be one of those people that loses sight of the fact that most ultrasound photos are confusing at best and terrifying at worst.

she even labeled it for you. Isn't that nice? Also, he obviously looks like me. 

For comparison:

(L) 12 week profile; (R) 22 week profile

Once again, not the best image in the world because the little booger will.not.stop.moving. The sonographer said, "oh, Lord have mercy on you." She had to chase him all around, and this is as good as we got. Boom Boom on the go. 

By way of explanation, that's a nickname that arose organically--as the best ones do--and is a reference to Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, a notable hockey player from days of yore. He played for the Canadiens and is, among other things, credited with inventing the slapshot--hence the nickname. In a migratory twist, his family ended up in the Nashville area ("right down the road"), and his grandson Blake was a standout high school and college player who ended up being drafted by the Predators. He was here for a few seasons and now plays for the Canadiens (the fourth generation in his family to do so). Actually, he plays for no one now, since they all have their heads up their asses and aren't having a season, but that's another story. Blake was the first Tennessean to sign an NHL contract, and his Predators teammates called him "Boomer," in honor of his grandfather. So there you go. Until this poor nameless baby has a Christian name, he shall be known thusly. 

[Another fun fact...if you go down the Wikipedia rabbit hole (as I am currently doing to avoid working on the dissertation defense) and decide to learn about the slapshot itself, you get a picture of the inimitable Shea Weber, who has a 105.9-mph slapshot and a very large dog, and once held the door for Bernadette at SATCo (read: they're totally getting married)]

Also ALSO, I'm 99% sure that my dad's seats are right behind the people in this picture, so we're basically in it. Someone who has been to a game with us please confirm. That lady screams at the opposing team's players in the penalty box, which is at the end of the row to her left. She crazy.



even in slow motion, the puck is a blur. 

And that's the story of how a blog post about an ultrasound got way off track. Welcome to the pregnancy attention span, folks! Wheeeeeee!!!

2 comments:

Miller said...

I see crazy lady!

Also, your attention span is great. You remind me of a pregnant Peeves the Poltergeist.

Maggie said...

LOOK AT THAT LITTLE GUY!!!!! i squeed in excitement when i saw this ultrasound photo. he looks like a real boy!