Sunday, October 14, 2012

Jar Cookies: Autumn Style

I decided to re-visit the ol' favorite cookie mix (originally posted for Valentine's Day here and here) and give it an update for fall.

For this round, I set out to use Halloween M&Ms, but I couldn't find them (are those not a thing? Did I make them up? It's entirely possible). So I got "fall" M&Ms and Reese's pieces, which seemed Halloween-ish enough.


I left everything else the same (including the chocolate chips), but subbed the Reese's pieces for M&Ms in a few of the jars. I made 4 total: 2 Reese's, 1 M&Ms, and one with a mix of both. I think Reese's are actually a little smaller than M&Ms, so it made it easier to fit everything in the jar. Good to know in the event that you have trouble with that, as I sometimes do. 

Reese's on the left; M&Ms on the right

I made one batch of the Reese's ones right away to take over to a friend's house to watch some football games. We can all vouch for the Reese's being a superb substitution. These make really soft cookies, perfect for eating by pieces or halves so that all the calories fall out (a.k.a Jenn Brown style). Not a crumb was left by the end of the night.


I zhushed up the rest of the jars and gave them as various hostess and thank-you gifts. All in all, a successful and tasty endeavor. I'll definitely experiment with other add-ins and substitutions for different holiday combos in the future. 

If you want to play around with your own, I'll email you my files for the recipe card with instructions that I tie on the jars when I give them away--let me know if you want them. Here was the latest:





No comments: