Monday, October 8, 2012

Swatches

(So if you're really dedicated, you may have noticed that there was no 20-week update. There are lots of reasons for this, the looming dissertation deadline (like, tomorrow) being first among them. Initially, I thought I'd just post it late, but now I'm just going to forego it altogether. I think the "fashion" update serves in its stead. We will return to regularly-scheduled updates this week.)

Now that we know it's a little mister on the way, I am starting to think nursery thoughts. Though, to be honest, the wall color was not going to be very different one way or the other. I think I just didn't want to think about it until we had the 20-week scan behind us.

One of the first issues to settle is the paint color. I am looking for either a warm cream (not beige) or a pale grey. The room itself does not get much light, so I want to keep the wall color light. I also want a neutral color that is pretty flexible--so that it can grow with us if we are in this house for a while longer, and also so that a potential buyer could easily see the room as something other than a nursery when it comes time for us to sell.

Menfolk: as you see all color the same and I'm sure would term all of these "white," you may stop reading now.

It turns out that you can order small sample cans from Benjamin Moore's website. This is helpful for me because I really want to see it on the wall first (maayyyyybe I've learned the hard way that I don't pick very well from the little paint chips) but also because the hardware store here only stocks a very limited color selection in their sample pots. So I could get all the colors I wanted and shipping is free if you order 4 or more samples. So I did. Alternately, there is a "pick up in store" option which you could do if you don't need 4 samples or want them sooner.

The contenders (Round 1):




Benjamin Moore Horizon



I didn't have to order samples of all these as I have some of the colors from other projects. I don't even know if the winner is among them, but it's a start. 

Next step: getting samples up on the walls. My goal is to do that this weekend, after we get some furniture out of there that won't be staying. Pictures, of course, will follow. And mayhaps another poll. 






No comments: