Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Holiday Gift Roundup

I guess it's a blog tradition or something to do a gift list around this time of year. While I don't really consider myself part of the "blogosphere" (I think you have to have more than just your mom as a reader to do that), I thought I'd jump on the train anyway. Mostly because I just like lists. It's kind of a hybrid between a regular gift list and another "favorite things" list. So here are a few ideas to buy for me. Or other people. Or me.

It's mostly for normals, with just a few preg suggestions at the end (as I realize that people who are 8 months pregnant at Christmas likely make up a very small portion of people's lists).

I was not compensated for sharing any of these, but you can put cash in my mailbox if that makes you feel sad.

For the ladies:


I don't have the Naked 1 palette, but this sequel is highly-anticipated and causing quite a buzz on the interwebs. Given that there's about to be a lot less makeup in my life, having everything together in one palette seems appealing. It's a lot of neutrals and greiges, which is pretty much my jam. 


To be clear, I'm not suggesting that you give someone JUST dishtowels as a gift. Ask my mother and mother-in-law what happens when housewares are given as gifts (hint: things get thrown). But if you know s/he would dig them, and maybe your gift is already culinary themed, these are my favorite. They don't look like much, but they are huge and soft and great. 

anything by Nico + Lala

I'm giving away a secret here, but these are my go-to ladies for anything party-related, custom-designed, you name it. I have them to thank for this fabulous blog design, actually. Invitations, Christmas cards, custom golf balls...if it needs swankifying, they can do it. They also have ready made items if you don't need a custom design. Their gift guide has 10 picks under $100 and I think any one of them is a great idea for friends. 


I think candles have a little bit of a reputation as a lazy gift--like the thing you get the girl you don't really know well enough to get a personal gift for. But they can also be really great. A personal fave is Nest candles. I gave my sister the Pumpkin Chai one in October and she texted me saying that she literally wanted to marry it, which I think is a decent endorsement. They have a nice holiday one, and I like the Wild Oats + Bourbon (obvi) for year round. Also Peony Blanche. They look nice and don't smell overpowering. 


This doesn't really need a lot of explanation, other than to say that I'm disappointed in myself for not being the one who invented it. 

Scharffenberger Brut Excellence

Sparkles! The New York Times recently wrote a review of American sparkling wines (when buying for the holidays, the real Champagne can be a budget-buster). This was the one they chose as the best value--it retails for about $17-$20 a bottle. 



For the gents:

Boys are tough to shop for. They don't usually know what they want, and when they do, it's sometimes not something that makes a great gift. Like underwear. It's also tough to recommend things to buy for "your man" (gag me Cosmo-mag speak), because they're all pretty different. Is he kind of metro? A dudical dude? The power tool type? So ironic it hurts? I don't know. So I am just putting some things here that I think BA would like, and you can take that for what you will. He is a regular dude (awesome-type, obviously) who wears regular non-tight jeans, drinks beer and bourbon AND wine, likes hanging out and stinky cigars, prefers to outsource the handyman tasks, would still use a bar of soap as shampoo if we weren't married, plays golf and tennis and can shoot some things (in a sporting non-redneck way), is smart and cares about world events, and likes nice things but thinks that stores are just large display places and would never actually spend the money to take a Nice Thing home for himself. 

First, the obvious choice would be bourbon. But I think I'm going to have BA write a bourbon roundup, so you can hear it straight from the aficionado himself. 


Hurry! You're already behind!


We have Christmas DOFs ("bourbon glasses," in this house) and fancy cut-crystal wedding-gift ones, all of which get used, but BA prefers the plain ones for casual use. You know, your standard Tuesday night bourbon. It is key that they have a very heavy bottom. This makes them feel more manly. We don't have the ones pictured, but I think the gold band adds a very cool, retro-now Mad Men vibe. And if your dude doesn't want to be Don Draper even just a little bit, then we probably aren't friends. 


I think men like Barbour the way we like anything Kate Middleton wears. Like you can imagine yourself being some important person in the English countryside with lots of dogs doing something sporting that Americans don't really understand. Also, Barbour has recently teamed up with Jack Spade (yes, that's Kate Spade's husband) and released this collection, which is kind of cool. The man in your life can indulge his James Bond Skyfall side.

Come on. Everyone wins here. 

and one more for good measure. 
No word on whether Scottish groundskeeper is included with purchase.

[Then spend some time chuckling at this (NSFW): Your LL Bean Boyfriend]

And then you can buy yourself this: The OPI Skyfall collection


they kind of mailed it in on the names, which are usually the best and punniest part, but they're actually all good colors which is not always the case with these forced tie-in gimmicks "collections" they do.


Every time we fly, he says he wants these. I take this as an indictment of humanity, not an actual gift request, because hating people and thinking they're stupid is a perfectly reasonable response to today's air-travel experience. Also, I'm not about to gift him anything "noise cancelling" with a baby on the way. If I'm hearing it, he's hearing it. But I'm sharing it with you because apparently he's not alone and lots of guys like these things. 


Hip, fancy artisan cocktail bars serve their bourbon (and other drinks) with ice balls instead of cubes. The thinking is that they melt more slowly, so they keep your drink cold without diluting it, like so: 


Will your man-person actually make and use ice balls? I don't know. Does he use the whiskey stones you got him last year? But it's an idea. I actually know several ladies who would enjoy this as well, so don't feel gender limited. Throw it in some pinot grigio and start a new trend.



Also not really gender-specific, but I'm putting it here given my rule about not gifting housewares to women (outlined above). These are surprisingly inexpensive, durable (I'm talking multigenerational), versatile, and kind of rugged rustic feeling. We have 3 and use them often. Throw in a subscription to Garden & Gun and you're legit. 

Also consider experiences rather than things. BA and my dad did this butchering class together about a year ago, and said it was great. We got to meet up with them afterwards and eat a great meal (it really was fabulous, and I don't usually flip over lamb). It looks like they're doing a hog class this January at Miel ($150). Tasty.


For peeps with pups:

(ours is more like a lovey--a bunny head on a blankie--but I don't see that on the site). 


Ok, so these are pricey for a dog gift. Or for a gift for some humans. But our dogs love theirs, and I love it too for a few reasons. The main reason is that it does not contain any stuffing, because ours will de-stuff a regular old dog toy in an obscenely short time. I got ours at Whole Foods (like the dog cares that the shit it's ripping to shreds is organic) but you can search online as well. 

For the pregs in your life:


Here's what they don't tell you. After weeks at the beginning of pregnancy sort of wishing you could wear maternity clothes so you're definitely pregnant-not-fat, you have a nice phase where you can wear some good things. THEN YOU OUTGROW THE MATERNITY CLOTHES. I don't even know what else to say, other than...leggings. 

artist's rendering
of freezer gel booties
because this item does not exist as far as I know

If you want to make millions, invent these and sell to people with swollen feet. BA says he wants to make millions, but I'm starting to doubt his commitment to the cause. 

Until then, just a massage should do the trick. 

Tennis balls

Yes, really. I mean, don't give me any, because we have a ton. But would maybe be a good stocking stuffer? I use one to lie on with problem owie spots, like nerve flareups (e.g., sciatica, upper back). Don't roll around on one unless you want to cry--just stay pretty stationary but put pressure on the spot. The burning means it's working. You can also put a couple in a tube sock and VOILA! Instant back massager. Dogs and husbands also enjoy tennis balls, so they're just generally good to have around. 

Other ideas: gift cards (she can use as she wishes, before or after baby) or accessories that don't remind her that she is puffy (necklaces, scarves, earrings; NOT rings or watches or the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man's jaunty cap). 

No.

Merry merry, everybody. 




2 comments:

Kate said...

I have figured out the comments - beware!

First, I have the Naked 1 palette and it is dangerously close to empty on my favorite colors. You will use it every.single.day (that you wear makeup) and it is universally flattering. My sister is olive-toned and you know how fair/pink I am and we both use it daily.

Secondly, A wants the Bose headphones but the aeronautical version...which is over twice the cost. *Grumble*

Let me know when you get those icy boots manufactured!

Boots said...

OBviously he wants the spaceman version. At least when he wears them, he won't be able to hear airplanes flying over (insert Dr. Paul's skywatching impression here).