Monday, January 14, 2013

34 Weeks

Here we are...mile 24.5.

I am doing away with the usual question format this time around, mostly because I am tired of answering the same questions. So I thought I'd just do a little update.

Last Monday I went to the doctor's office for a non-stress test. During this test, they put 2 sensors on the belly: one to monitor baby's heart rate, and one to monitor any contractions (I'm not having any). They are looking for baby's heart rate to increase 15 beats above baseline for 15 seconds on at least 2 occasions in a 20-minute period. So I just sat there for 20 minutes and watched the monitors, which was pretty nice. After that, they took a blood pressure and it was pretty close to normal. Baby also passed the heart rate test, so they feel like he's fine and comfy in there. A gold star appointment over all.

I went back on Thursday for an ultrasound, which was a bit more of a haphazard experience. The ultrasound looked good; baby scored high again. No face pics at all this time around, though we did get a picture of a foot and some toes. That would have been thrilling at the beginning of this process, but now I'm like "no face? Not interested. Move along." Because baby is bigger at this point, ultrasound is useful for them to look at particular parts for measuring but not very interesting for me to look at--you can't see the whole baby at once or much of the head or anything that helps you orient to what you're looking at. He was practice breathing a little, but then he would stop (supposedly he was sleeping). The sonographer wanted to see him do it for longer, so she woke him up with a little buzzer, after which he got really mad and did plenty of the breathing accompanied by some angry hiccups.

After this appointment, the BP was a little high (no idea why), but my usual doc was not there to consult so they had to make a follow-up plan on the fly. Lots of waiting around ensued (schedule morning appointments whenever possible). I was sent down to the lab for a blood draw, which was lovely as always. The next day, a nurse called and said the results from the blood tests were "very reassuring" and there were no signs of pre-eclampsia "yet"...thanks for that. But it was nice of them to call, though I'd already had nurse Sara look at the labs once they posted them in my online file and she said it looked good. So really I think the overall feeling right now is that I continue to be fine, but I feel like it's a roller coaster in terms of what the BP is on any given day and they are watching so closely that it feels like a LOT of testing. I'm not tired of being pregnant quite yet, but I am getting tired of being this patient. I just keep reminding myself that, one way or another, it will be over in a couple of weeks and it's not really that big a deal since baby is fine.

One fun thing from the most recent ultrasound: the sonographer got kind of a backlit (?) view of his head, and said that he doesn't have a full head of hair but does have some little peach fuzz. We'll have to wait and see what color it is...I am kind of freaked out by babies that come out with a whole baby toupee on anyway, so peach fuzz is fine with me. I just kind of hope he's not bald for as long as I was...

Speaking of hair--thought I'd throw in a positive perk at this point...while I may look and feel like a manatee, at least I am a manatee with awesome hair (except when it's raining). It is thick and generally cooperative, and it's a very strange experience to not be shedding. No hair in the shower. None in the brush. No random hairs on my arm or pillow or bathroom floor or car dash or whatever (you curly-haired girls know what I mean). I will be very sad to lose it all after baby is born.

I also had a nice coffee sesh with two other ladies who are due at the same time as I am (literally--one is Feb 20 and the other is Feb 21), so it was nice to chat with people who are in the trenches as well. Some of our experiences are the same, and some are really different, so it's nice to get a little perspective. I also had a wonderful baby shower on Saturday hosted by cruise director Grace Ann, Buff & Mary and their mom, Kate, Catherine, Katie (via satellite), and Bernzo. A lovely time was had by all and it was truly perfection to look at. I'll do a whole post with pics once I get them from the photographer (i.e., Sara).

I think those are the main points to hit for this week...hopefully I can get through the next round of doctor appointments without being ping-ponged around too much. I hope your week is fabulous and that you are surviving the January blahs.

xo

No comments: