Friday, January 25, 2013

36 Weeks

...and counting. But not yet at the final countdown. Let's make it to 37 before we start that.

We are puffy and tired. But both appointments this week (NST on Monday; ultrasound on Thursday) went well. Baby performed very well at the NST and "passed with flying colors" on the ultrasound. I think at this point that mainly just means he's keeping up the practice breathing. No pictures from that one, though. His hands were back in front of his face--but he did wave.

We also took Newborn Care 101 on Wednesday night...definitely an experience to share. BA changed a diaper (granted, on a baby doll) and was the best swaddler in the room. I'm very proud. We saw lots of pictures of gross poops, baby acne, and lanugo and are thus totally certified to take care of a helpless newborn. It's not terrifying in the least.

The nursery is coming along in whatever a small, slow version of "leaps and bounds" would be. Steps and hops? It would be serviceable if he had to come home tomorrow (please no) but needs a little more organizing. Part of this organizing is moving things down to the living room, which I'm guessing will be our home base during most of the daytime hours. So we now have the swing and soon, the Pack N Play downstairs...thereby completing my transformation into the person whose house is taken over by baby shit that I swore I'd never be. Once that stuff is moved out of the nursery, it's just a matter of finishing touches: hanging pictures, mirrors, and curtains. Oh, and ordering said curtains...but they're on backorder until late Feb so whatever. I will post pics when the room is as close to finished as it's likely to get.

This weekend is our last getaway (still within driving distance of the hospital, no worries), to which I am very much looking forward. I can't do much in the way of activities (horseback riding? no?), but will have a massage and eat everything they have to offer, which is sounding pretty good. I will also have pictures of that upon our return.

Other than that, nothing else to report...I just spend my days slowly doing things around the house--the thing they don't tell you about nesting is that, while it is a real thing, you're pretty physically limited once it actually hits--and continuing to cook this baby.

Finally, I would like to give a shoutout to baby Jack, who is scheduled to arrive in our nation's capital on Monday morning. We are very much looking forward to meeting you and I urge you to please consider this your very stern warning to give your mother a very easy time. I would hate to have to give you The Look at this tender age. Sending all our love from the Nashville contingent (don't worry, we have a party on the books for Monday night--if we can't be with you all, we'll at least be together here!). xoxo

This is for Hayden and Tom (and you can laugh at us later when you are all accomplished and everything is a breeze): Five Things I Forgot About Having A Newborn

No comments: