Well, technically he was still many hours from arrival this time last week, but it's close enough for me. [Ok, so I wrote this in advance but then it took me 2 days to put in the photos. So it goes.] Here we are...all still alive, which is my definition of a raging success. People always talk about how they're terrified to bring home a newborn, but I had no idea how many horrors would lurk around every corner. The mind can invent some truly awful situations, especially in the dark while alone. Fortunately, after a few days, this faded to a manageable anxiety that is within normal limits. I would think.
Overall, we are all still doing well. He is on a fairly predictable pattern (I wouldn't call it a schedule) of eating every 2 hours and sleeping in between. Eating is going really well, for which I am very thankful. Knock on wood. I know that many people really, really struggle with that piece, and I admire their determination. Even though it has been relatively complication-free for us, it's still pretty challenging. And stressful. C has had some jaundice since birth, and eating well is really the only way for him to clear it out (via poops that we now discuss casually and frequently as if that is a totally normal thing to suddenly be discussing). Just in case worrying about sustaining your child's life is not enough, adding in the threat of "irreversible brain damage" (I suggest some addition professional development to that nurse) is pretty motivating. Thankfully, as of yesterday, his bilirubin levels have stabilized and we are just monitoring for now. We are all hoping we're finished with daily doctor visits and heel pricks.
Between feedings--day and night--he really just sleeps. This is pretty easy, except that he does not want to be put down at night. So the bassinet in our bedroom remains empty. BA and I just tag team throughout the night, sleeping in shifts between his feedings. The on-duty party is generally downstairs in the living room, where most of our supplies are. Plus, one can watch tv to stay awake. This is not a long-term solution, but it is ok for now. During the day, he'll usually sleep in the vibrating seat of the Pack N Play, and I have a couple ideas for how we can reconfigure some things to address nighttime that we'll get to if needed. The adrenaline definitely starts to wear off after a week and not sleeping gets harder, but we're still making it through.
Firsts:
Everything's a first in your first week of actually, you know, being alive on the outside, but here are some milestones in addition to getting born.
People C met and loved:
Jules
Miller
Sara
Lil Mary
not pictured: Berna, Kate & Andy, Catherine, Pete & Jules L, Grace Ann, the dogs, Janette
FaceTime: with the Upstate grandparents (ain't technology grand??)
mail: Valentine from his favorite great aunt
holiday: Mardi Gras, Valentine's day
car ride:
Stats:
- weight:
at birth: 8lbs 3oz.
2/13: 7lbs 8 oz
2/14 and 2/15: 7lbs 11 oz
The amount he lost after birth was within normal limits and he's gaining well now.
- length at birth: 21 3/4"
Likes: rootin' & tootin'
Dislikes: diaper changes. Until the fresh one hits that little bottom, and then everything is instantly ok; bilirubin heel pricks; the bassinet
Despite the craziness, we're having a good time just getting to know him. It's all so new, but it also feels like I already knew him.
Thank you to everyone for the visits, meals, calls, texts, and general cheerleading. It would be impossible (and a lot less fun) to do this without your love and support. Cheers to you.
a hospital ice bucket






1 comment:
LOVE this!!! Can't wait to come back and visit. xoxo Lil mar
Post a Comment