Thursday, September 6, 2012

16 Weeks

I would like to begin with an open statement to the lady who stole a parking spot from me at the Kroger yesterday. This was a parking spot for which I had patiently waited, while the previous occupant loaded her groceries, returned her cart, and pulled away. I wasn't rude; we shared a friendly wave-nod. And yes, I used my blinker. A textbook spot-claim. It wasn't even a very good parking spot, and wanting it had little to do with being pregnant, but I believe there is a special place in hell for people who steal parking spots from pregnant women. Because the worst part is that I almost cried and that's just ridiculous.

So, to you, lady: I hope that today you spill your coffee and hit all the red lights and run out of toilet paper and someone else eats the last pastry in the office kitchen that you wanted (except you didn't really look like you work in an office) and the dog barfs on your rug and all the other things that kind of make your day a little worse but aren't actually tragic. 


Total Weight Gain: I do not know. Creeping out of the "high-regular" numbers and into the ones I've never seen before. 

Size of Baby: Baby is about 4.5 inches long (head to bottom) and weighs about 3.5 oz. I'm told to "get ready for a growth spurt"--but I thought we were just having one?? Baby is about the size of an avocado. 

Baby's legs are much more developed, his/her head is more upright, and the eyes have moved closer to the front of the head (uh, good). Flexible thumbs now make it possible to grasp, though I hope there's not much in there to grab on to. Baby has even started growing toenails, and his/her little heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood a day. Phewph. 

Miller: just so you are not concerned anymore, the intestines should already be inside the body. 

Maternity Clothes: I am probably a little of Column A; a little of Column B. I'd likely be in maternity pants--IF I were wearing pants. I am guessing I would still be pulling them up from time to time, but it would be a welcome trade-off for the comfort factor. However, it's still too hot for jeans, so I am sticking to dresses, which are not maternity. 

I am working on a longer post (ok, it will be a series) about dressing for two, so I'll share some of what I've learned and perhaps some pics in the near future. 


Gender: Sara has not yet succeeded in her carefully-crafted plot to get us to go to a private ultrasound place and just find out already, so it's still a mystery. 

but you can still vote in the poll.


Movement: Yup. Sporadically, usually after I've eaten. No jabs or kicks--baby is not big and strong enough yet--but definitely the occasional bloop!

I like to imagine that this is baby affirming my food choices: Bloop! Tiny fist pump! I like pizza!

Me too, baby. Me too. 

Sleep: Can't make a consistent statement here. Sometimes acceptable, with the requisite bathroom trips, and sometimes very restless.

I thought the dreams were gone. I was wrong. Monday night:


We had won some sort of contest and the prize was a tour of the White House. The Obamas landed a helicopter at my parents' house (pretty fancy contest, huh?) and were going to pick us up to take us to DC. The baby was already here, and we had it (no obvious gender) in the car seat. Before takeoff, much deliberation was required regarding how to best put the car seat in the helicopter.


These are serious issues, folks. 

What I miss: Not much--in reality, I've got it pretty good at this point. There isn't much I'm unable to do, and I generally feel pretty good. I am beginning to suspect that the wild claims of boundless energy were somewhat overstated by others, but overall...it's good. 

Cravings: Not as bad this week. The idea of Hot Tamales still pops into my head from time to time, but I couldn't find any at the grocery yesterday, which is probably just as well. 

Other crazy symptoms: I think it's allergies + pregnancy, but headaches/sinus pressure, stuffy nose, and general blahs. Also, heartburn. 

Best Moment this week: Does the return of football count? 

--

It's only 8:30am, and Madigan has a major bee in her bonnet today. For at least an hour, she has been barking at non-issues (we call these "phantom emergencies," and I think she does it when she's bored or wants attention). Today, this has included the workmen next door--up the hill, who've been there for months--and the man across the street who had the audacity to stand in his OWN front yard this morning. Also, it's trash day. Today might be the day they meet their new friends, the citronella bark collars. Lord have mercy. 

1 comment:

Maggie said...

does the airheads picture suggest that gender is still a mystery, but you know it'll be a white baby? brian must be relieved.