Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Boots's Favorite Things

Nothing fancy here, just some things I like enough to share with you fine folks. Some are old faves and some are new faves, but I thought they might also make fun stocking stuffers or what have you. And they're not (directly) baby related, so you get a break if that's not your thing.

[Not that you thought I was this important, but I wasn't compensated for any of this. If you would like me to say nice things about something and compensate me for it, I am not above that.]

1. Goody Quikstyle brush


This is a new fave. I guess the gist of it is that it's a regular paddle brush with blue microfiber nubby things, so that your hair dries faster when blow drying. 

I can attest that this gives a more-than-passable blowdry result, which is pretty darn good for a shortcut. It won't be as cute as a full 'do, but that's really not tragic. I'm thinking:
  • people with babies or small children who are trying to get pulled together as quickly as possible
  • post-workout gym blowdry
  • you, like me, are lazy and don't really like doing your hair 
  • you're not an everyday blowdry person and maybe are a little scared of the round brush
Not only does it cut blowdry time, but the result is a pretty smooth mane. Unlike many of my beauty faves, not pricey. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

I got mine at the grocery store (Green Hills Kroger, if you're local and searching). Somewhere else I checked did not have them, so you might have to look around. 

2. Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer



with SPF 20 (yay!)
mine is in Nude. 

If you knew about this and didn't tell me, shame on you. I don't really need to waste a lot of words describing it, but I've tried a lot of tinted moisturizers (from the drugstore) and never really got hooked. This one is good. On the pricey side, so fair warning. 

I got mine at Sephora (in the checkout line where they put all the small stuff to upsell suckers like me. Fail). About 20 bucks for the "travel size," which I think is a pretty decent size. Also at Nordstrom. 

3. Hair texturizer (this is just a more socially acceptable way of saying "dry shampoo"). 

Again, I am lazy most days and don't really like doing my hair. This will stretch the blowdry another day in the event that you choose one more round with the snooze button over a shower. Not that I've ever done that. I have 2 that I like, for slightly different purposes, but they both do the trick. 

by Oribe

by Furterer

both available at the Cosmetic Market. 

4. Upstairs, Downstairs (the new one). 

Don't want to say too much here, but if you're looking for something to fill the time until Downton Abbey returns, peep this series. On PBS: check. Also British: check. There may or may not be a war and/or social unrest coming: check. Fancy people, grand house, and servants: checkity check check. Same genre, sliiiightly different time period. Bonus: HAS A MONKEY.


Season 1 must have been a test season or something, as it only had 3 episodes. They suck you in, then leave you hanging. The second season has just started in the US, so you can catch up. It's on On Demand (if you have Comcast) under Masterpiece Classic. You may have to watch Season 1 online or on DVD. Netflix has it. 




This doesn't really need a ton of explanation. Exactly what it says on the box. I've been using it for about two years now (alone or under concealer), and I just like it. 

6. Belabumbum jammies


I have a little bit of a jammie-buying problem. I always want to be effortlessly cute and casual, like these girls in the pics who wear full makeup to bed and have perfect hair. So I buy cute sets at Target and the like. Only...they're not comfy. The tops move around (surprise boobs!), or the shorts ride up your booty. So I end up back in BA's old boxers.

These are a new find for me (and YES, it's sort of pregnancy related because they have maternity and nursing stuff but also regular strength jammies for you skinny people), but so far I like mine. Minimal seams, drawstrings, etc. Maximum stretch. I got a top and short set that I don't see on the current website. I also got a little matching robe for it, which I love: 3/4-length sleeves and all t-shirt material, so it's not too hot.

Pricey for jammies, I grant you. But I got mine on Gilt, so if you're a member there (and you should be), you can keep your eye open for a deal. 


7. Keurig

I have this one, but there are many fancy options to suit your needs:


This is actually in its second life as one of my favorite things. Last year, I bought it for the office to help us all get through the crazy season that is December. It also makes tea, cider, or hot chocolate for the non-coffee crowd (insane people). 

I recently brought it home as it wasn't being used at the office anymore. I use it to make a cup of heartburn decaf in the afternoons, so I don't have to make a whole pot of coffee. Starbucks got on board with the K-Cup thing, so I buy their little decaf ones. 


I purchased my Keurig at Macy's. K Cups are available there, at the grocery, at Costco...lots of places. 

****

TA-DA! Now you know my current faves. Let me know if you try one out or have something to suggest. 

Thanks for stopping by. You stay classy. 








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. I wish this was like Oprah's favorite things and I suddenly just had all this poop.
Lil Mar

Boots said...

I have begrudgingly accepted that I will never be Oprah. However, this is an intriguing idea. Let's brainstorm...

k said...

I failed the test of friendship as I guess I never told you about the magic of Laura Mercier illuminating tinting moisturizer. Apologies.

Do you know about this magic? http://www.sephora.com/meteorites-powder-for-the-face-P266308?om_mmc=Googlepla&_requestid=42976&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-pla-_-{keyword}&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1256049

Not sure if it works magic on everyone or just me because I'm SO freaking pale. It works on principles of white light and I swear by it's ability to even out skin tone and make my pinky-red blotches go away. Worth the price.