Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How We Can Help

Thank you to all of those who have sent kind thoughts to Hillary via me or on your own. I would imagine that the sadness, confusion, and anger that I have experienced is only a fraction of their own emotional journey. Physically, she is doing about as well as can be expected, and I know everyone is grateful for that.

One of the most natural human responses to the loss or grief of others is to ask what we can do to help. As I've written before, I think it's an unfortunate truth that there is nothing that anyone can do that meaningfully reduces the sadness of another person. That's just not the way grief works. It's a tricky animal. However, there are often small gestures we can make in an offer to lighten the load for another, or to try and bring good out of darkness.

In the event that you feel you'd like to do something for them, I am passing along some information from the family that I received this morning (paraphrased).

First, Hillary and Chip are appreciative of all the kind words, prayers, and messages they have received over the past few days. I think that sometimes the best and most supportive thing we can do is to let people know we are thinking of them. Even if you don't know them personally, I think that there's some sort of karmic value in sending helpful thoughts up to the universe or something, or even just pausing to reflect on what loss can show us about our own lives.

Second, they have set up a website to support the Twin-to-Twin Transfusion syndrome (TTTS) Foundation. This site helps foster a community of people who have been affected by TTTS and provides educational, emotional, and financial support to families and medical professionals. I know this community's support was helpful to them throughout their journey, and I imagine it will continue to be of use to them as they move forward. They have asked that those who would like to do something on their behalf consider making a gift to the foundation.

If you would like to make a donation, you can do so by clicking this link to go to their page.

They express that any gift, however small, is appreciated, and that they are thankful for your well wishes.

No comments: