Saturday, November 10, 2012

Is That OK?

So we were at Taste of Nashville last night (a fabulous event; props to the organizers and participants. If you couldn't make it, get it on your calendar for next year). Other than my ill-advised decision to wear high-heeled boots, this party was basically a pregnant girl's dream: you walk around lots of booths and eat tasty morsels from local restaurants/food purveyors. A city-wide all-you-can-eat buffet, if you will. I had a serious plan for this. No haphazard, slapdash mosey-and-eat. No. We did a loop, scoping out the options. I then made a plan of attack for real food, intermission (bathroom break), then dessert foods. I couldn't take advantage of the open bar, so had to get my BA's money's worth on the food before it got all picked over or cold.

It's early in the real-food portion of the plan. I hit up a table that is manned by two ladies (can I say something is "manned by ladies??"). The name of the restaurant shall be withheld because of manners or something, but...I really wish I could tell you. It's an older lady and a younger lady, who apparently was also pregnant but I did not notice this at first because she was wearing one of those black chef's jacket/shirts and I am self-centered and really it was pretty boxy.

like this.


I will say at the outset that she was working and I was at a party, so she gets some Grace Points back in her corner.

Me: [takes cup of food that I cannot identify to you as it would ruin secrecy]. This looks good! Thank you.

Younger Lady: Oh, how far along are you?

Me: About six months (gracious smile).

YL: Funny, me too! But you're much bigger than I am.

Me: <blink blink blink>

I asked her what she was having and she said a girl (thank GOD because it allowed me to mumble something about "well, this one's a boy so maybe he's bigger..."). I'm pretty sure I also gave her my congratulations but I honestly cannot remember.

I suppose I had braced myself for bumbling and/or backhanded comments from people without babies, or people who were once pregnant but have forgotten, but this was straight preg-on-preg violence.

SO...what say you, loyal legion? Is that ok? Am I overly sensitive? Does she get a pass for also having pregnant brain? Help a sister out.

P.S. then I ate Jeni's ice cream, pumpkin spice biscuit bread pudding, and a mini cupcake.

1 comment:

k said...

Personally, I filed this under girl-on-girl crime but I'm also super sensitive. Prego brain buys her a little leeway but not enough to excuse her rudeness.