Thursday, January 31, 2013

37 Weeks

We did it. We cooked a whole baby. Nice work, everybody.

High fives all around.



Oh my God, weren't the 90s amazing? Did we even know it then? 

We had a lovely getaway last weekend, during which I ate enough to rival an entire professional football team, enjoyed a massage during which the power went out, learned a lot about nice bourbons except how they taste, and saw some puppies (!). Oh, and baby obliged by staying put. So it was a win all around. 

Other than that, life has consisted of trying to get the house ready--a slow and uphill battle that I always seem to be losing--checking in with friends, and going to the doctor. 

I had the 37-week appointment this morning, and things continue to look pretty good. I'll spare the details of getting checked (a new joy particular to the appointments in the final weeks) and just say that things are moving along but there's no reason to think we're going to drop out a baby in the immediate future. All of this was pronounced totally normal for 37 weeks, and is fine with me. So good ol' Dr. W is content to let me go one more week, check again then, and go from there. 

Baby C measured very much on track and is head (way) down--the sonographer said, "his head is basically down between your knees"--so she couldn't get a face picture. It doesn't feel like his head is between my knees, so I suppose I'm grateful for that and maybe still have a bit before the full-on waddle. 

We also have a new size estimate from the growth scan (probably the last one). Again, they're notoriously inaccurate, but I can say that it's unlikely Katie and John will win the pool with their vote of 6lbs, 14oz. Everyone else has guessed in the 8-lb range so is probably safe. Except for my husband, who entered a guess of 9lbs, 2 oz (realllly???).

After that, I panicked that we don't have enough clothes in the right sizes. Newborn clothes say they go up to either 7 or 8 pounds, depending on the brand. But even to my untrained eyeball, different items look like they vary widely in their interpretation of how big a 7-lb baby is, so it's extra confusing. I had a vision of going to put on his "going home" ensemble and it being all wrong and getting some serious side-eye from the nurses. So a quick trip to Baby Gap should have us covered with a few more items for the baby bag, no matter what size he emerges. I will teach him early that we always pack options. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was trying to be nice. can i change my weight guess? can't wait to meet C! so soon! xo k&j

Anonymous said...

and now i have "end of the road" stuck in my head. thanks J! xo k