Thursday, August 9, 2012

12 weeks


How Far Along: 12 weeks. BAM. Adios, first trimester.

*Technically, I presume that the first trimester ends at the END of week 12, but let's just go with it, people.

Total Weight Gain: Let's just say it's in the normal for the first trimester. 

Size of Baby: Depending on the source (which highly scientific email newsletter), a plum or a lime. 


en Francais, c'est "une prune"

une chaux


This week, we'll have REFLEXES! It's exciting. Baby will start moving his/her mouth, fingers and toes will curl, eyes--which are now in their proper location on the front of the head--will start to move. The major milestone at this point is that the development phase is largely complete, and baby moves into the growth and maturation phase. So most of the little working parts are there in some form, but now they just need to get bigger and move into their proper places (e.g., intestines are still on the outside of the body. Get those suckers IN.)


Maternity Clothes: The Bella Band came out for the first time on Tuesday. The blue jeans officially no longer button (though I will loudly note that the white jeans DO still fit). Perhaps it would be a little more precise to say that, while the jeans would probably button in the morning, they'd be reeeeally uncomfortable by the afternoon, so I saved myself the embarrassment of needing to unbutton my pants while leading a training for a roomful of people. The next challenge will be a social event on Friday night--do I wear a regular dress and look casually bloated? We shall see. 

Gender: ??

Movement: None for me to feel. Apparently at this point, if I were to prod my own abdomen, baby would squirm in response, but the plum is still a bit too wee for me to notice the reaction.

Sleep: I don't want to jinx myself, but I think the extreme, bone-shattering fatigue might be lessening somewhat. I am sleeping more normally (i.e., not like the dead). The extreme dreams continue. This week I have:
  • played football for Ensworth. I was definitely pregnant, and we used a basketball instead of a football. There was also a solid Harry Potter subplot. 
  • become friends with Kate Middleton on a cross-country bus tour of England.
  • painstakingly handwritten the names of 5 (five) Chinese restaurants.
  • competed in the 4 x 100 medley relay at the City Meet. All the usual suspects from the swim team days were there, so that was fun/weird. However, there was also a faceless nameless swimmer on the relay. He/she encountered many obstacles in the course of his/her leg: officials in the water blocking the way, an ever-lengthening pool, etc. So by the time I dove in to swim my anchor leg, we were so far behind that the race was over and the lifeguards were removing the lane lines. Analyze THAT. 
I don't think I fully remember my dream this morning (beyond the fact that there was a large block party of some sort), so maybe the end of the fatigue also means the end of the Magical Mystery Tour. 

What I miss: Brushing my teeth without trepidation. I cannot remember or comprehend how normal, non-pregnant people perform this task without gagging. 

Cravings: Cinnamon buns. Smoothie King. Breakfast in the afternoon (but DEFinitely not in the morning). Spaghetti. I mean, for perspective, these aren't go-get-it-right-now-at-3am sorts of cravings...just things that sound good that probably would be considered odd by normal people's standards. 

Other crazy symptoms: Random crying (at Olympics, Pinterest, Batman). Round ligament pain--at least, that's what I hope it is. That shizz is no joke...it will take your breath away. So far it's when I sneeze and sometimes at night (after rolling over or something, I think). 

Best Moment this week: I started making a registry and other plans, which made me truly excited that there's actually a little nugget joining us. I think that the beginning is so full of uncertainty and what-ifs that I didn't allow myself to be fully excited, so it's nice that it seems like that's behind us a little. 

I wanted to post today to get this one up, but tomorrow morning we have a big ultrasound. They will look around and take measurements to see that everything looks like it should, and that there aren't any abnormalities on which they'd want to follow up. So I look forward to sharing what I hope is a good report and maybe some photos. I will feel much, much better with that one behind us.