Friday, August 31, 2012

Cider Smash & Fried Green Apples


Welcome back to Bourbon & Boots, one delusional pregnant woman’s corner of the internet. Today, we will be pretending it’s fall.


Coming up with apple recipes in August/early September is not as simple as one might guess. I think we would all happily make the mental leap to yummy fall apple treats, but the reality is that it’s not truly apple season yet. Bad grocery store apples are guh-ross. So I have tried to present two solutions that address this reality. The first is a delicious adult beverage that is fall-ish, but uses sparkling apple cider in lieu of real apples. The second recipe uses (green) apples, but works with summer foods like grilled meats or fish.

Cider Smash
A bourbon drink, obvi

Pour 2 ounces bourbon and ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice into a tall Champagne-type glass. Top with chilled sparkling apple cider. If you wish, garnish with a thin red-apple slice.

Cider smash, far left. But feel free to drink all of these. 
Photo courtesy of Martha, not me

This makes one cocktail, which is a hilarious joke. I am going to math it up for you to make a larger batch for all to enjoy. 

To make 6 drinks (ok let’s be honest…4), combine the following:
1 ½ cups bourbon
3 cups cider
3 tsp lemon juice

This reveals an easy ratio. Just dump some bourbon in a pitcher and then add maybe about twice as much cider and some lemon juice. I think it would also be a pretty punch with some apple and lemon slices floating on top—in that case, 2 bottles sparkling cider to one (750ml) bottle bourbon. If you’ve ever been to one of our Derby or holiday parties, you know I love a punch. Guests do too. Cheers!


Fried Green Apples
These are intended to top or accompany your main dish—especially good with pork or fish

4 apples, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp cider vinegar
½ cup sugar
thyme
salt + pepper

Saute the onions in a little oil or butter (or even the bacon fat, if you're making the bacon-horseradish accompaniment below) until soft. Add the apples and cook 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until tender, but not soggy (can you tell these are highly detailed instructions that I wrote down for myself?)

We like this with a bacon-horseradish sour cream, which I will find in Dr J's cookbook and add in later. 

No comments: