Monday, August 27, 2012

Lemon Chicken

The current fruit of the week led me on a search for a quick and easy dinner, because I wanted to whip up something relatively healthful now that I feel like cooking again. I did indeed make this tonight, and it was simple and tasty. I particularly liked that it requires relatively few ingredients.

Lemon Chicken
original source, via Pinterest

2 tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (buy 2 large lemons)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp rosemary, finely minced
2-4 lbs of bone-in, skin-on chicken (the grocery did not have bone-in chicken, so I used boneless, skinless breasts. Changes noted below)
2-3 tbsp butter, melted
salt + pepper

Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and salt/pepper--about 1 tsp each--in a large Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and shake well to blend. Place the chicken pieces in the bag, press out the air, and seal. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the chicken (skin side up, if relevant) in a baking dish. Reserve the marinade in the bag. Brush the top of each chicken piece with melted butter.

For boneless, skinless breasts, bake for about 40 minutes. For bone-in, bake 50-55 minutes until skin is crispy and brown. Halfway through baking, pour the reserved marinade over the chicken. Remove from the oven and let rest.

then take an unfortunate iPhone pic due to dead camera battery

I served it with brown rice and sauteed spinach. 

No comments: